Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Red Moon Attempt
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Herzogenaurach Germany ISO: 200 
Posted By: rojaba, 04-28-2021, 11:03 PM

Now if you see a moonrise like that, you have to act quickly, especially if the moon is not rising where you expected it to. So there was a lot of running around with the tripod involved. Not 100% happy with this, as it's not as sharp as I'd have liked it to be, but it's quite a unique capture, no stacking, no bracketing, just some lightroom tlc.

It also made me go out and buy the k3 iii the next day, as I need something with better focus

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 277
04-29-2021, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You at least took the shot...i missed my chance, and man the moon was marvellous....
04-29-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not an easy task to capture the moon so low. I'd suggest changing from Auto white balance. Experiment with it. Get the color right and then work on the focus.
There are photographers ephemeris tools and astronomy planetarium programs that can help you simulate upcoming moonrise.
04-29-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Good shot. Yes not as sharp as a surgeons knife, but with practice you can create some beautiful harvest moon shots. Keep shooting!

04-29-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I like the colors!

One thing that surprised me when I first tried to photograph the moon is how fast it's moving... or we're moving... whatever. Anyway, I found I had to shoot much faster shutter speeds, and since it's so far way, wide open aperture let me get away with faster shutter. Depending on the lens, that might also mean giving up a little zoom and cropping later and/or bumping up the ISO a bit more.
04-29-2021, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least you had the sense to run get the camera and tripod, instead of just standing in the driveway admiring it until the moment passed! Great capture, blame the soft focus on atmospherics and carry on!
04-29-2021, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just look on your lens barrel and manually set the focus distance at 240,000 miles or so. IIRC, when shooting the moon you can use the 'Looney 11' rule; f/11 and shutter speed the reciprocal of ISO. You looneys out there can correct me if I'm wrong. Of course, it's not as bright when it's near the horizon, so maybe some (+) compensation?

04-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
Now if you see a moonrise like that, you have to act quickly, especially if the moon is not rising where you expected it to. So there was a lot of running around with the tripod involved. Not 100% happy with this, as it's not as sharp as I'd have liked it to be, but it's quite a unique capture, no stacking, no bracketing, just some lightroom tlc.

It also made me go out and buy the k3 iii the next day, as I need something with better focus
You take what you get.
Nice capture.