Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
I had no business
Lens: Auto Sears 200mm f3.5 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Maryland, USA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: jimmypage, 04-30-2021, 03:39 PM

First of all, I am new to DLSR photography. I have shot extensively on film but could never find a digital camera I felt comfortable with until I discovered Pentax late last year. My goal is to get images that look as close as possible to film and I am not generally happy with my work to date. I don't consider most of my photos worthy of sharing on this forum because I haven't figured out how to make a digital camera do what I want it to do. This photo stuck with me though. The lens was a $35 ebay acquisition, received in the mail and mounted for the first time just minutes before this picture was taken, handheld. I have taken maybe a dozen snaps so far with this lens and I'm trying to decide what to do next with it. I think I'll be using it a lot this summer. I prefer to shoot 1600-3200, and at f3.5 I think I'll be able to work with the long focal length. I have since acquired (from a forum member) a K-3ii and I wonder if improved SR will make a difference at 200mm focal length. I am already VERY happy with the sensor's performance at 3200 ISO and may end up pushing it higher. In the right light, the CA is not only manageable but I would call it "film like." There is some green fringing, but to the extent it's even visible I find it almost tasteful. The flowers are nearly the same color as the flower pot and it was very hard to make them stand out in post processing.

Full res: IMGP0617 | Auto Sears 200mm f3.5 M42, handheld | GPT-7 | Flickr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by jimmypage; 04-30-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Got facts wrongs
Views: 287
04-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will take your green fringing and raise you.... Actually, I'm red/green color blind, so fringing is a challenge for me. Nice bokeh with that old Sears lens.
04-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work. I believe this is a darn fine effort. The only way to improve is to just keep at it, remembering what you have to do, and you will do just great. Thanks for posting.

tt
04-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great image, Good use of bokeh.

05-01-2021, 05:21 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Your years of film photography will not go waisted when it comes to things like composition and understanding Depth of Field. Are you dabbling with any editing?