Swift Parrot
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 1,131
05-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Our salties are not as large, but mature bull alligators can reach 12-14 ft. (4-5m) in length. Not to be messed with!
I'm trying to remember the name of the big Alligator who hung out near the visitor centre at the Okeefenokee Swamp. It was pretty big. I have video of a small one sunning at the edge of a golf course pond on Parris Island golf course. That's what you call a real golf course hazard! Unfortunately I've taken my "jumping croc cruise" video from the Northern territory offline...

05-07-2021, 01:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

amazing photos!
05-07-2021, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm trying to remember the name of the big Alligator who hung out near the visitor centre at the Okeefenokee Swamp. It was pretty big. I have video of a small one sunning at the edge of a golf course pond on Parris Island golf course. That's what you call a real golf course hazard! Unfortunately I've taken my "jumping croc cruise" video from the Northern territory offline...
There are several videos online of alligators climbing chain-link fences. Can't help you, sorry, with the 'gator name, I've never been to Okeefenokee. There are several quite huge 'gators that hang out at the Royal Palm Ranger Station in Everglades National Park. Haven't been there in a few years but I think the rangers have named one or two of them.

My former employer kept an alligator in his backyard pond. He had a state permit for it (required by Florida law, for "captive wildlife") and periodically an inspector would come by to check on it, make sure the animal was in good condition, etc. One particular 'gator got to be a little too large for the size of the pond, eventually he had to send it back to the alligator farm and bring in a smaller one. But he liked to show off the garden and often hosted tourist groups, I was often the docent for the garden tours. One large bus group visited on a day when the 'gator (named Wally) was sunning himself on a rocky area between two decks. Visitors thought he was a faux 'gator (there were bronze bird ornaments about ), joking about how realistic it was. Right on cue, when there were lots and lots of turistas within a few feet of him, he raised his head and opened his mouth quite wide. I think some of those visitors are still running...