Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Rock Cafe - Route 66
Lens: HD D-FA 24-70mm F2.8 Camera: K3 III Photo Location: Stroud, OK 
Posted By: jspi, 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM

Last weekend we attempted to eat at the Rock Cafe on Route 66 in Stroud, OK but discovered it's now closed on Sunday. So we took some photos instead. It was built with rocks removed for the paving of Route 66 so it's a historic building. Sally Carrera (from the movie Cars) was created after Dawn, the owner of Rock Cafe so there's a bit of novelty to the place as well. If that's not enough, the food is worth the 2+ hour round trip. Nothing fancy, just good food and the service has always been good too.
Cars by Pixar & Sally Carrera - ROCK CAFE ON ROUTE 66

Full album on Flickr: Rock Cafe | Flickr

Last edited by jspi; 05-02-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Views: 413
05-02-2021, 01:20 AM   #2

Fascinating - route 66 is legendary all over the world, but the little details which you have shared are precious.
05-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I saw on the history channel that the first KFC was set up on route 66
05-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dennis Forster Quote
Fascinating - route 66 is legendary all over the world, but the little details which you have shared are precious.
One of the things I like to do is not travel main roads. Too busy, too many people in a hurry, and nothing but tourist traps. Now I sound like I'm 20 years older than I am. One one trip, I drove across KY along the TN border on 2 lane roads (Cumberland Gap to Paducah). Beautiful and sights completely missing from the interstate (that was using Rand McNally paper maps) and food that only locals get to enjoy. On one such trip, I was hungry and found some local place. About to finish my food and an older guy walks out with a slice of pie. Hi, I'm Bill and I own this place. Who are you, where are you form, why are you here, and have a free slice of pie. That'll never happen at a chain restaurant.

Anyway, someone my wife knows got published in Reader's Digest for a story on Route 66. Highly recommend the trip if you're ever in the area.

Your Guide to a Route 66 Road Trip | Historic Route 66

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Staubach Quote
I saw on the history channel that the first KFC was set up on route 66
Interesting. One would have thought KFC started in Kentucky.