Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Hunting Woodland Bluebells
Lens: Samyang 135mm f/2.0 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Worcestershire ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: Sunburn, 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM

For me photographing the bluebells at ground level always produces some very interesting and pleasing results. Using a longer focal length lens like the Samyang 135mm of the Pentax 100mm Macro lens both which have very wide working apertures allows for subject isolation that suits my style of soft ethereal macro photography.

Bluebells in woodlands are one of the finest joys of woodland macro photography for me, but they are tricky subjects to photograph. The often dappled light in woodlands brings with it a range of challenges. These challenges range from shutter speed and exposure time issues to considerations for depth of field and lens focal length, along side problems with contrast and colour. With a little practise and working with the woodland you can produce some outstanding woodland macro images.

Supporting Video Here

Attached Images

Views: 231
05-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #2

With all the troubles you outlined, you had a stellar result. Very dreamy and ethereal indeed.
05-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love the delicate colors!
6 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprky1285 Quote
With all the troubles you outlined, you had a stellar result. Very dreamy and ethereal indeed.
Thank you. But you didnt get to see the other 'x' amount of frames that were utter rubbish lol

---------- Post added 05-05-21 at 01:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Love the delicate colors!
Thank you. The 'Blue' of the bluebell can be quite saturated, and for some reason it never translates from what your eye see's into what the camera records, with this in mind I do prefer the slightly desaturated treatment when processing the images.

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful! great effort.
6 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done.
6 Days Ago   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sunburn Quote
Thank you. But you didnt get to see the other 'x' amount of frames that were utter rubbish lol

---------- Post added 05-05-21 at 01:23 AM ----------

Thank you. The 'Blue' of the bluebell can be quite saturated, and for some reason it never translates from what your eye see's into what the camera records, with this in mind I do prefer the slightly desaturated treatment when processing the images.
That's part of the game!

Joel Sartore (extremely successful/lauded National Geographic photographer) commonly notes a time where he was sent to Africa to capture a specific wildlife category shoot. If I remember correctly he said he took some 3,500 plus images, sent them back to NG and they edited down to 4 and I think published 3.

Keep shooting!
6 Days Ago   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprky1285 Quote
Joel Sartore (extremely successful/lauded National Geographic photographer) commonly notes a time where he was sent to Africa to capture a specific wildlife category shoot. If I remember correctly he said he took some 3,500 plus images, sent them back to NG and they edited down to 4 and I think published 3.

Keep shooting!
Not at all uncommon for Nat Geo (and other) photographers to take thousands of photos for an assignment. Or doing macro work such as photographing flowers. What matters is that you manage to get that image that gives you that feeling of satisfaction - this image looks fantastic and has a unique look for this kinds of flower.
5 Days Ago   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very pleasing high key treatment. Soft pastel colors. Nice work.
5 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very delicate. That samyang looks like a keeper!
4 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
Beautiful! great effort.
Thank you

---------- Post added 05-07-21 at 04:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Nicely done.
thank you too

---------- Post added 05-07-21 at 04:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Not at all uncommon for Nat Geo (and other) photographers to take thousands of photos for an assignment. Or doing macro work such as photographing flowers. What matters is that you manage to get that image that gives you that feeling of satisfaction - this image looks fantastic and has a unique look for this kinds of flower.
Cheers MrN. I'm happy with the result and well, the Bluebells only have a peak season here for about 2 weeks, so I'm pleased i managed to find the time and get the timing right this year.

---------- Post added 05-07-21 at 04:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Very pleasing high key treatment. Soft pastel colors. Nice work.
thank you