Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A head and shoulder shot.....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM

......and a full body shot. Not what you expected, right? But I just couldn't help it.

Mourning dove

Common grackle. They usually look just black but see what happens when one throws some light at them.

These are still from Ontario, I'll have one more post after this from Ontario and than we'll move on to New York State.

Some OT information: Just got an early Christmas present, new computer and new monitor (BenQ 24") including CS4.

As some of you may remember, on the second day of my trip I fell on my face with both cameras and lenses. Everything seemed to have survived without damage. While in Ontario I had both cameras (K100D and K10D) checked and cleaned by a Pentax authorized repair facility. They gave both cameras a clean bill of health exept to say that since Pentax had not yet provided the neccesary software they could not check the electronic functions. ( which is to me, outside of the shutter assembly and lens the whole camera) Both cameras worked and over the next 10 weeks I took 10 000 pictures with the K10D

After I returned home I took The K10D and Bigma to the camera store in Calgary and they send both away for cleaning and adjusting. Bigma had a bit of play in the mount area.

Bigma was back in 10 days with the following note: "Repaired rear barrel, cleaned dirt from lens element, checked and adjusted focusing." There was no charge whatsoever.

Last week the camera store phoned to inform me that Pentax had voided the warranty on the K10D due to impact damage and the repair cost would be $ 350.00 CDN. I asked them to just return the camera without repair. The camera is less than a year old but a discontinued model, I could not see to spend that kind of money on it, especially considering the fact that the camera still works.
Views: 2,774
11-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice shots Heinrich, and congrats on the christmas present! From the looks of those two shots your K10D seems to be fine, but sorry to hear about your experience with the pentax people. Hope you get your camera back soon.

NaCl(it's amazing how fast bodies deappreciate)H2O
Thank you for the nice comments. The K10D works fine, exposure is sometimes a little erratic, one gets used to it and just checks the histogram on the first shot of a new location. As far as Pentax goes, they are right the camera did have a fall. I just don't understand how a working camera would need $ 350.00 worth of repairs.

Take care,

11-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Two beautiful shots Heinrich, that dove shot is really great. Sorry to hear about the camera although from your shots you wouldn't know there was any problem.
Thank you Scott, the camera works reasonable well thats why I wouldn't spend the mony on it besides that, that is all what it's worth right now. Better to save it and put it away towards a K20D :-)

Take care,
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
JMR
Veteran Member

Very sharp, but also well composed. OK, what did you offer them this time? I mean the dove is practically winking at you ;-)

JMR
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Very sharp, but also well composed. OK, what did you offer them this time? I mean the dove is practically winking at you ;-)

JMR
Thank you JMR, leftovers, just leftovers but Bigma has a long reach.

Take care,