Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A head and shoulder shot.....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM

......and a full body shot. Not what you expected, right? But I just couldn't help it.

Mourning dove

Common grackle. They usually look just black but see what happens when one throws some light at them.

These are still from Ontario, I'll have one more post after this from Ontario and than we'll move on to New York State.

Some OT information: Just got an early Christmas present, new computer and new monitor (BenQ 24") including CS4.

As some of you may remember, on the second day of my trip I fell on my face with both cameras and lenses. Everything seemed to have survived without damage. While in Ontario I had both cameras (K100D and K10D) checked and cleaned by a Pentax authorized repair facility. They gave both cameras a clean bill of health exept to say that since Pentax had not yet provided the neccesary software they could not check the electronic functions. ( which is to me, outside of the shutter assembly and lens the whole camera) Both cameras worked and over the next 10 weeks I took 10 000 pictures with the K10D

After I returned home I took The K10D and Bigma to the camera store in Calgary and they send both away for cleaning and adjusting. Bigma had a bit of play in the mount area.

Bigma was back in 10 days with the following note: "Repaired rear barrel, cleaned dirt from lens element, checked and adjusted focusing." There was no charge whatsoever.

Last week the camera store phoned to inform me that Pentax had voided the warranty on the K10D due to impact damage and the repair cost would be $ 350.00 CDN. I asked them to just return the camera without repair. The camera is less than a year old but a discontinued model, I could not see to spend that kind of money on it, especially considering the fact that the camera still works.
Views: 2,426
11-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Damn Brit

They are both beautiful Heinrich, I especially like the way the background works in the second shot.
11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always enjoy your work Heinrich.. I agree with Gary. The second one is a stand out. JIMBO
11-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautiful close ups Heinrich and I too especially like the balance of colours in the second one.

Paul

11-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Wonderful shots, Heinrich! I really like the closeup of the dove.
Arvin
11-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Shots Heinrich - I totally agree with you decesion for non repair - the K10D is not worth much more than that. I should send mine in for a cleaning and check up - did you send it directlry to Pentax Canada or via the stroe your bought it ?

My concern is last time I sent a K10D in from Mcbain it was almsot 8 weeks before it came back.

Anyway 10k shots wow ! Lookign forward to so many more. That grackle does indeed look different! Well done.
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
They are both beautiful Heinrich, I especially like the way the background works in the second shot.
Thank you Gary, its appreciated.

Take care,
11-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Always enjoy your work Heinrich.. I agree with Gary. The second one is a stand out. JIMBO
Thank you Jim for the kind words.

Take care,

11-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Beautiful close ups Heinrich and I too especially like the balance of colours in the second one.

Paul
Hi Paul and thank you. I hope that things are progressing?

Take care,
11-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acbees Quote
Wonderful shots, Heinrich! I really like the closeup of the dove.
Arvin
Thank you Arvin for looking and commenting, it is appreciated.

Take care,
11-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great Shots Heinrich - I totally agree with you decesion for non repair - the K10D is not worth much more than that. I should send mine in for a cleaning and check up - did you send it directlry to Pentax Canada or via the stroe your bought it ?

My concern is last time I sent a K10D in from Mcbain it was almsot 8 weeks before it came back.

Anyway 10k shots wow ! Lookign forward to so many more. That grackle does indeed look different! Well done.
Hi Dave and thank you.

"The camera store" sent it in for me, they do the packing and shipping for free if the camera was bought there.

8 weeks is about normal, my coolpix 8800 went to nikon twice and that's what it took booth times. It was three weeks when Pentax phoned with the estimate but that is not repaired and shipped yet.

10K does seem like a lot but over a period of ten weeks, not that much especially taking in consideration that on some shoots the success rate was not very high. :-)

Take care,
11-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots Heinrich!!! The second one is my favorite. Amazing colours.
11-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Heinrich, and congrats on the christmas present! From the looks of those two shots your K10D seems to be fine, but sorry to hear about your experience with the pentax people. Hope you get your camera back soon.

NaCl(it's amazing how fast bodies deappreciate)H2O
11-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Two beautiful shots Heinrich, that dove shot is really great. Sorry to hear about the camera although from your shots you wouldn't know there was any problem.
11-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt Quote
Wonderful shots Heinrich!!! The second one is my favorite. Amazing colours.
Thank you Kurt, it is appreciated.

Take care,