Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  
Swans at Ardrossan
Posted By: cprobertson1, 05-07-2021, 04:25 AM

Been a long while since I posted! Finally made it out for a good shoot in clear weather and man, was it good to get out again!

Man, that is one coquettish glint in that swan's eye!

Swan

Could have been a little bit better - apparently I took it at a slight angle (I was lying prone at the time and had to twist sideways to get this one) and it ended up squint... and the problem is that rotating it back into place makes the picture feel a bit claustrophobic - so I decided just to leave it!.

-EDITED-
Okay apparently I can crop it in more than I realised. I had "auto-crop" turned on in the rotation section, so when I rotated it, it snipped off the corners and made the new image a rectangle of max area... which left me no room to crop properly. Disabling that allowed me to crop it to a smaller area while preserving the sides.

I'll to remember that the next time I take a squint photo!

There are more pics in the album but I thought these were the best two

Last edited by cprobertson1; 05-07-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Views: 906
05-09-2021, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right - third time lucky xD

Do you reckon the "portrait" of the swan (earlier post) is alright, brightness-wise? It seems alright on my phone but it's too bright on my monitor - if it's good for you I can use it as a calibration point to fix my monitor brightness.

05-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very wonderfully constructed images, sir. Many thanks for sharing. )

tt
05-09-2021, 11:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Do you reckon the "portrait" of the swan (earlier post) is alright, brightness-wise?
It looks good to me now on my monitor. How do you calibrate your monitor, do you have a tool for that?
05-10-2021, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
It looks good to me now on my monitor. How do you calibrate your monitor, do you have a tool for that?
I just used online calibration charts and attempted to do the best I could with my eyes.

It's definitely not perfect, but it seems to be good enough to get by - at least as far as colour goes.

I'm a bit concerned about the brightness though - I'm not quite sure what's going on with that... looking back all the way through my flickr, it seems that a lot of photos are about a 0.33 to 0.5 stops too dark - which is weirdly consistent, excusing a few really dark images, which I hope were deliberate experiments on my part!

We'll see if it makes a difference - I still think the biggest contributor to systemic darkness in my photos is me though

05-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Nice shot! Try to enhance the two tones: white and dark blu.
05-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A fantastic result to be printed and hanged. Very well executed.
05-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #22

So beautiful!! Really stunning.

05-13-2021, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Quick questions... right above the wingtip there is a shadow caused by ripple - is it distracting enough to be worth removing?

Brightness... Would it benefit from being a little bit brighter?
I'd leave the shadow alone - the correction might seem unnatural and present more distraction.

You could punch it up a bit. Sometimes I'll do a small 4x5 print on a good inkjet to see what my photo looks like.

Monitors lie I work with a graphic designer who does mostly digital work, and find the same challenge - monitor calibration is hard unless you keep it the same in a dimly lit room evenly illuminated. And who has space or time for that?!