Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Snowshoe Hare still showing signs of last winter
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Isle Verte, Québec ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: jpzk, 05-07-2021, 02:31 PM

Here is this Snowshoe hare which sat quietly this morning, under a tree.
It is still showing whitish patches ... almost in full summer colour.
There is some purple fringing at the distal back of the hare .... ISO 6400 (I had set 6400 for the limit but the LCD was still flashing, probably indicating that I was still way under exposing)... not bad for the "simple" K3.
Imagine this shot with the K3III !!!

Views: 556
05-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, beautiful animal and beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing.
05-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A beautiful shot.
05-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I usually top out at ISO 3200 with my K-3, but seeing this I might push it a little further next time. Nice capture.

05-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Wow, beautiful animal and beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comment !

---------- Post added 05-07-21 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
A beautiful shot.
Thanks, Swip.

---------- Post added 05-07-21 at 06:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I usually top out at ISO 3200 with my K-3, but seeing this I might push it a little further next time. Nice capture.
I used to top it up at 3200 as well but I thought that pushing it a bit more wouldn't hurt anyway. After all, I am not going to print those and they look fine on the WEB.
I know it would have been "better" with my K5 under such low light condition, then again, nice to have a bit more "MP's".
I can hardly wait to get my hands on a K3III so that both conditions are taken care of.
05-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great portrait of the Hare. During the past winter, my wife and I were out in back country prairie farm roads, looking for Snowy Owls to take pix of. I didn't succeed...A prairie blizzard was starting...just as a Snowy took off from it's hydro pole perch ...appearing to chase after some Snowshoe Hares...what with the weather and the distance the owl flew...don't know if he got lunch. But we did see him strike something near the limits of our sight.
05-08-2021, 03:33 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, great shot. I am happy with my "simple K-3" and your shot reminds me that I don't need to change just yet (have to save my pennies for the K-3iii).

05-08-2021, 05:43 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
"Should I stay or should I go now?"
05-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great portrait of the Hare. During the past winter, my wife and I were out in back country prairie farm roads, looking for Snowy Owls to take pix of. I didn't succeed...A prairie blizzard was starting...just as a Snowy took off from it's hydro pole perch ...appearing to chase after some Snowshoe Hares...what with the weather and the distance the owl flew...don't know if he got lunch. But we did see him strike something near the limits of our sight.
I thought there were "Jack Rabbits" out there where you are?
I would assume that the owl did get its lunch if that rabbit was in the open with nowhere to hide.

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 11:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes, great shot. I am happy with my "simple K-3" and your shot reminds me that I don't need to change just yet (have to save my pennies for the K-3iii).
Yes indeed.
I would "love" to have/try this K3III but the budget is rather limited these days. The "normal" K3 will have to do for some time.

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 11:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprky1285 Quote
"Should I stay or should I go now?"
That rabbit moved around quite a bit but stayed there with no intention of leaving, apparently.
05-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful creature. I bet she heard you with those ears
05-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Beautiful creature. I bet she heard you with those ears
Oh yeah "she" did hear me alright but seemed not to be scared though.
05-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I thought there were "Jack Rabbits" out there where you are?
I would assume that the owl did get its lunch if that rabbit was in the open with nowhere to hide.[COLOR="Silver"]

Out here in the prairies we have Jack Rabbits, the Snowshoe Hare and the Eastern Cottontail. The Jack Rabbits are something to see, when they get going...lots of speed. Cottontails are pretty slow.

Think the Snowy probably did get it's lunch.

As you say, there's not a lot of places to hide out on the prairies, especially in the winter, after the crops have been harvested.

There used to be a cable TV show called Manhunters. Mostly they filmed in the western Alberta foothills and the BC Rockies. A person would get a good head start, before the tracker would follow him and then the tracker would follow the 'rabbit' by footprints, etc. other clues.

The star of the show, Terry Grant once said that they set the show up once in the Saskatchewan prairies and it didn't work out that well, as the tracker watched the other guy trying to escape for three days.
05-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not much for me to add other than further appreciation for this great photo!
05-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Out here in the prairies we have Jack Rabbits, the Snowshoe Hare and the Eastern Cottontail. The Jack Rabbits are something to see, when they get going...lots of speed. Cottontails are pretty slow.

Think the Snowy probably did get it's lunch.

As you say, there's not a lot of places to hide out on the prairies, especially in the winter, after the crops have been harvested.

There used to be a cable TV show called Manhunters. Mostly they filmed in the western Alberta foothills and the BC Rockies. A person would get a good head start, before the tracker would follow him and then the tracker would follow the 'rabbit' by footprints, etc. other clues.

The star of the show, Terry Grant once said that they set the show up once in the Saskatchewan prairies and it didn't work out that well, as the tracker watched the other guy trying to escape for three days.
Quite a story!
I used to live in Calgary (for a while) and the first time I saw Jack Rabbits I thought they had been fed with steroids!
And one of my biggest surprises was to see all those gophers running around.
05-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Quite a story!
I used to live in Calgary (for a while) and the first time I saw Jack Rabbits I thought they had been fed with steroids!
And one of my biggest surprises was to see all those gophers running around.
Gophers, 13 lined Richardson Ground squirrels...we have all manner of small rodents running around on and 'underneath' the prairies.

We visit our daughter and her family, who live in south eastern Alberta...usually about 3-4 times a year...when covid isn't determining our lives.

We usually travel vis the Trans Canada (#1) highway and I recall one evening in the summer.....in this part of Alberta , my wife who was sitting in the shotgun seat...said...'Pronghorn !'

I looked immediately to my right at the ranchland we were driving alongside...and she said...' No..look at the center grassed in boulevard'..... at this part of # 1. I looked and about 100 yards away was a big Pronghorn buck, quietly grazing on the boulevard. I didn't want to honk...might scare the animal into my lane, I just slowed down as quickly and without drama to about 25 mph (40 kph or so) and just crept by him.

He didn't even move a muscle....and if I wanted to...I could of rolled down the driver's window and touched him...but that would of been a crazy thing to do, of course.