Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Playing with garbage
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 05-16-2021, 05:11 AM

The Little Corellas were playing with pieces of plastic they found on the shore of Lake Tuggeranong in Canberra.

Can I play too?
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 344
05-16-2021, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!
05-16-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Very nice. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! It was fun to watch, although I wish the plastic wasn't actually there!
05-16-2021, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice catch Rob! Cockatoos are always looking for something colorful to play with. My Citron Cockatoo plays with different colored little toy balls depending on her mood. I put them all in my hand and let her choose.

05-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Isnt that a bit sad
05-16-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice catch Rob! Cockatoos are always looking for something colorful to play with. My Citron Cockatoo plays with different colored little toy balls depending on her mood. I put them all in my hand and let her choose.
Thanks! Interesting to know that it's a common trait in most Cockatoos. Corellas seem to be especially playful. Kea in New Zealand are very playful but even more destructive - they will rip apart anything new that appears in their territory.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprky1285 Quote
Isnt that a bit sad
Yes. It made me want to get a claw and a garbage bag and patrol the lake shore, but what it really needed is for people to be more responsible with their garbage.
05-16-2021, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Yes. It made me want to get a claw and a garbage bag and patrol the lake shore, but what it really needed is for people to be more responsible with their garbage. :(
This.

It really doesn't take any more effort to put your rubbish in a bin or take it with you

05-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
It really doesn't take any more effort to put your rubbish in a bin or take it with you
Exactly, but the cause is probably the same people who throw fast food wrappers out the window while they drive or do burnouts on public roads and leave the remnants of steel belts all over the place.
(or pile more garbage on top of bins that are already full)
12-16-2021, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The Little Corellas were playing with pieces of plastic they found on the shore of Lake Tuggeranong in Canberra.

Can I play too?
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Our local magpies are similar - seems to be the youngsters, just like puppies. And sound a bit sweeter than a Corella
12-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
Our local magpies are similar - seems to be the youngsters, just like puppies. And sound a bit sweeter than a Corella
Yes, I've seen Australian Magpies playing too, not quite as cleverly as these birds, and yes, Australian Magpies have a beautiful call while Corellas are a bit harsh, though not as deafening and painful as Sulphur-crested Cockatoos.