Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Sunset
Lens: Smc 15mm f4 Camera: K3 iii Photo Location: Oregon ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/3s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Almost.Focused, 05-18-2021, 09:49 PM

Ran just outside of town to catch this sunset and play with my new 15mm limited

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF

Views: 550
05-18-2021, 10:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Overall I think I prefer #2 but both have great colours to the. Thanks for sharing
05-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Starhunter94 - prefer #2 as well. The fence post just seems to be in the wrong place composition-wise. I can understand how you used it to block the sun, but it is just too prominent - trying to figure out if it is as important as its position suggests. The colours are great in both images.
05-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight. I couldn't decide if the fence post should be front and center or off to the side. Learning.

05-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Almost.Focused Quote
Thanks for the insight. I couldn't decide if the fence post should be front and center or off to the side. Learning.
Not an easy decision - you only had a few minutes light, and you made a reasonable choice. It might be worth trying a few more times if you can revisit the site.
05-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm. I am a total novice, I think, when it comes to conscious, creative composition. Too literal a personality, I think? Plus landscape photography is not something I do very often. But I am going to throw in my 2 cents worth.

Would the 1st image have been OK with the fence post if you had arranged it so that the fence post only just blocked one edge of the sun? It might have got you that nice star-burst effect around the post that the second pic has, and thus given the fence post a better reason for being there?
05-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
In all Honesty the fence post isn't even blocking the sun. I was just getting creative trying to add depth and perspective to the scene. The sun had just gone below the mountains by that point leaving an explosive sunset in it's wake.

I do see the conflict of having two subjects competing for attention over the same scene and I'm regretting not attempting to get that starburst on the edge of the fence post now that you mention it. It's a good thing these sunsets are as common as rain in the PNW and I'll be having another go at it.

05-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do see the conflict of having two subjects competing for attention over the same scene and I'm regretting not attempting to get that starburst on the edge of the fence post now that you mention it. It's a good thing these sunsets are as common as rain in the PNW and I'll be having another go at it.
I am curious. Will be interested to see how you go.
05-19-2021, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #9
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the first one. The fact that there is enough light to see detail on the post and the perfectly exposed sky is very pleasant.
05-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well I managed to make it back out to that post this evening fully anticipating a glorious sunset. Then the sky cleared up fast and left a LOT to be desired. I did remember to get the starburst off the post though and am very pleased with the result. Thanks again for the critique
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
05-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I managed to make it back out to that post this evening fully anticipating a glorious sunset. Then the sky cleared up fast and left a LOT to be desired. I did remember to get the starburst off the post though and am very pleased with the result. Thanks again for the critique
Good job. I like it. It looks just the way I imagined it might. You nailed it!!

Now, I am going to get picky - did you shoot a version of this in landscape? Would be interesting to compare - especially with the focal length you are shooting at.
09-25-2021, 11:55 PM   #12
Banned

Wow
i like!!!!!!!!!!