Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Follow that Fokker!
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 05-21-2021, 04:11 AM

This is a new airline and a new route for Canberra, direct from Mackay in Queensland. The planes are not new however - this one was built in 1991, so it has been flying for three decades.

Follow that Fokker!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 423
05-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
This is a new airline and a new route for Canberra, direct from Mackay in Queensland. The planes are not new however - this one was built in 1991, so it has been flying for three decades.

No eyes - but your new K-3iii did the job anyway.
05-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture Rob. I imagine they bought them for a pretty good price at that age.
05-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plenty of detail and well exposed . TFS

05-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No eyes - but your new K-3iii did the job anyway.
True!

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice capture Rob. I imagine they bought them for a pretty good price at that age.
Thanks! I guess so. The main thing is getting an aircraft which can operate without air bridges and with minimal ground support. I think the old DC9 that was the predecessor of the 717 had steps built into the front door as well as the tail door (which was removed in the 717). I'm curious if the Fokker needs ground crew to bring stairs; it would save a lot of time at the mines if they don't need to.

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Plenty of detail and well exposed . TFS
Thank you! I'm very happy with the detail of the K3iii and DFA 150-450 combo.
05-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great pix. My wife's grandfather flew an even older Fokker, a Fokker Super Universal when he was a Canadian bush pilot, many years ago.
05-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pix. My wife's grandfather flew an even older Fokker, a Fokker Super Universal when he was a Canadian bush pilot, many years ago.
Cool! I hadn't heard of that one before - it looks like a single engine version of the Fokker trimotor. When I was very young, the most popular airliner on short hops was the F27 Fokker Friendship. I can still remember flying on those to Canberra and Cooma on the way to the snow.

The Super Universal looks superficially similar to the ever popular DHC-2 Beaver.

05-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Cool! I hadn't heard of that one before - it looks like a single engine version of the Fokker trimotor. When I was very young, the most popular airliner on short hops was the F27 Fokker Friendship. I can still remember flying on those to Canberra and Cooma on the way to the snow.

The Super Universal looks superficially similar to the ever popular DHC-2 Beaver.
He also flew a Junkers JU 52 , in the '30's and '40's, Bellancas , etc....all outfitted to fly in Canadian wilderness, usually flying in mining equipment, supplies, set up to land, take off on bodies of water, both frozen and not frozen surfaces.
05-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
He also flew a Junkers JU 52 , in the '30's and '40's, Bellancas , etc....all outfitted to fly in Canadian wilderness, usually flying in mining equipment, supplies, set up to land, take off on bodies of water, both frozen and not frozen surfaces.
Wow! Do you have any photos?
05-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Wow! Do you have any photos?
No. He retired in 1962 and I didn't know my wife (she was 7 and I wasn't much older) at the time. He flew commercial turboprop (I believe) passenger planes at the end of his career. He started flying bush planes in 1929.

He had a tremendously exciting career, particularly as an early Canadian bush pilot. I recall reading his flying logs and boy would some of his adventures make an exciting movie.
05-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
No. He retired in 1962 and I didn't know my wife (she was 7 and I wasn't much older) at the time. He flew commercial turboprop (I believe) passenger planes at the end of his career. He started flying bush planes in 1929. He had a tremendously exciting career, particularly as an early Canadian bush pilot. I recall reading his flying logs and boy would some of his adventures make an exciting movie.
What a shame about the lack of photos. It sounds like he had an amazing life!
05-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

What a shame about the lack of photos. It sounds like he had an amazing life!
He did. He met the Queen, in the '80's, shortly before he passed away, as the representative of early Canadian bush pilots.
05-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the angle of descent here. Excellent capture. )

tt
05-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
He did. He met the Queen, in the '80's, shortly before he passed away, as the representative of early Canadian bush pilots.
Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I really like the angle of descent here. Excellent capture. )
Thanks Tony!