Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Flare
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah Boardwalk 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM

The Flare - a new permanent ride at the Kemah Boardwalk - is a seven-story circle that gives patrons a chance to scream and whoop while suspended upside down while riding along the inside of the structure. Here are a few pics of this crazy thing.

To see larger versions, a click on the pic and view on Flickr.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-28-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Views: 696
05-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not for me Jer.--cap'n zap
05-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd rather take a ride in one of your toys, sorry cars
05-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Not for me Jer.--cap'n zap
Same here, Capn! I leave this sort of things for younger folks.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'd rather take a ride in one of your toys, sorry cars
Me too, and . . . . . . you got it right the first time!

Jer

05-30-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool captures Jer! I am also well past wanting to climb on one of these rides any more. But it is fun watching kids riding on them.
05-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very cool captures Jer! I am also well past wanting to climb on one of these rides any more. But it is fun watching kids riding on them.
Thanks much, Todd!! I think my last "wild ride" was Space Mountain at Disney World, and that was a long time ago.

Jer
05-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Jer, I love the pics but honestly... that ride would make me seriously sick.. had a real bad experience as a kid on a rickety old wooden rollercoaster here in CT called the Thunderbolt I think.. I was almost one of those statistics... no Thanks!
Al

06-01-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Jer, I love the pics but honestly... that ride would make me seriously sick.. had a real bad experience as a kid on a rickety old wooden rollercoaster here in CT called the Thunderbolt I think.. I was almost one of those statistics... no Thanks!
Al
Hey, Al, thanks much! Yup, that thing would be too much for me, as well.

BTW, we'll be flying up to CT next week to see our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter for the first time since before the pandemic began. We're fully vaccinated, and starting to ease back into normal life.

Jer
06-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up until my 40s, I was too chicken to ride big roller coasters, though my wife loved them. I literally thought I might have a heart attack going down the first hill. I finally told myself 'if kids ride these, you need to suck it up and get on it yourself!' For a time I visualized myself riding one and having a good time. Finally one day at Kings Island in Ohio I got on the Vortex, which included a horizontal corkscrew, vertical helix, and loop-de-loop. I was nervous going up the first hill. After that, I had a blast! It was great; loved it!

Years ago I was talking to a friend who was a crew chief for F-15Es. Because of his superior job performance, he was elected to get an 'incentive flight' as a reward. The pilot asked him if he wanted the 'bunny ride' or the 'real deal'. He chose the real deal. Later we asked him how it went. "It was fantastic! Just like a roller coaster ride but ten times worse." "Did you throw up?" "Of course", he answered nonchalantly.
06-02-2021, 06:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Up until my 40s, I was too chicken to ride big roller coasters, though my wife loved them. I literally thought I might have a heart attack going down the first hill. I finally told myself 'if kids ride these, you need to suck it up and get on it yourself!' For a time I visualized myself riding one and having a good time. Finally one day at Kings Island in Ohio I got on the Vortex, which included a horizontal corkscrew, vertical helix, and loop-de-loop. I was nervous going up the first hill. After that, I had a blast! It was great; loved it!

Years ago I was talking to a friend who was a crew chief for F-15Es. Because of his superior job performance, he was elected to get an 'incentive flight' as a reward. The pilot asked him if he wanted the 'bunny ride' or the 'real deal'. He chose the real deal. Later we asked him how it went. "It was fantastic! Just like a roller coaster ride but ten times worse." "Did you throw up?" "Of course", he answered nonchalantly.

Sounds like you were made to ride the Flare!

Jer
06-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe someday my wife and I will get back to an amusement park. The closest one is Carowinds in Charlotte on the other side of the state. Quite a long drive.