Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
first outdoor shots
Posted By: acrbill, 10-13-2006, 02:36 PM

My first outdoor shots with my new k100d and kit lens.
These where all taken in fully automatic mode. I took them at the worst possible time of the day, 12 Noon. The sun posed all sorts of issues.

I did learn a valuable lesson today. Always tread lightly. As I was coming down the path I was making enough noise that I scared a crane or some such bird into flying away. It wouldnt have been a big deal except that finding such a large bird around me would be like finding a 90 story building in the middle of the Everglades.

This area is owned by the park district. As nice as it is, there are a few buildings around that ruined some good shots.

On with the show.

Since I am very green, any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Also, I did mess around with the color balace a tiny bit.
Views: 2,045
10-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the close-up, the 3rd pic, best. The kit lens can do a nice job with close near-macro focus, and that's an interesting view of an interesting plant.

For the rest, my own take is that you might make them a little more arresting by bringing something into the composition that is closer to the viewer. If nothing else, that could be the ground and ground cover itself, which you can take advantage of simply by shooting from lower than your standard eye-level. Others here may have more ideas; I'm kinda green too with nature photography.

Thanks for posting.
10-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new camera.
3rd pic is a beauty and I actually like pic 2 as well - I like the reflection of the sky on the water - maybe try and clone out that building in the background and crop out some of the blown sky so it is not so overpowering in the picture.
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Congrats on your new camera.
3rd pic is a beauty and I actually like pic 2 as well - I like the reflection of the sky on the water - maybe try and clone out that building in the background and crop out some of the blown sky so it is not so overpowering in the picture.
Alright, I gave the pic a quick work over. Let me know what you think.

10-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice one!
10-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though I prefer the seeing the building, adds a bit of mystery or interest to the picture.