Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Testing out a Promaster 100 Macro
Posted By: Digital Hobby, 03-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Besides digital photography as a hobby, I have been involved in collecting and promoting Diecast model cars since 1995 so I take a lot of model photos. Below are some test shots with a very inexpensive 100mm macro from Promaster. Needless to say, I am quite happy with it's results.

Views: 2,072
03-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos, and model!
Is that the 100mm f/3.5 that is made by Cosina? I have been wanting one but everyone seems to be out of stock.

Walt
03-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Cool model. Where might someone look for this quality of models as I have a few but would love to have something like this to add to my collection at work.
03-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
Nice photos, and model!
Is that the 100mm f/3.5 that is made by Cosina? I have been wanting one but everyone seems to be out of stock.

Walt
Yes it is a 3.5 but I think the manufacture is Phoenix. (Or does Cosina make them for Phoenix?) B&H currently has a manual focus for $75.00.

QuoteOriginally posted by GLThorne Quote
Cool model. Where might someone look for this quality of models as I have a few but would love to have something like this to add to my collection at work.
The manufacture of the model is Road Legends and it's from there Shyne Rodz series. Supercar Collectibles has this particular model in stock 1:18 scale. You can find information for almost any diecast on my site at the Diecast Pub just click on the forums link and you will see a list of dealers in the right corner who carry most cars. If you can't find something just post a note on the boards and someone will point you in the right direction.

03-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos Tim. Love the truck. Back when I was a teen they had glue together model kits of "hot rods". I remember being torn between an old 30's Ford PU with chopped roof line etc and a Chevy van from the same era. Eventually went with the van because my parents owned a Chevy. I haven't thought about those models in decades.
It's good to see that you can still get great photos without spending a lot on expensive gear.

NaCl(thanks for the memories)H2O
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice photos Tim. Love the truck. Back when I was a teen they had glue together model kits of "hot rods". I remember being torn between an old 30's Ford PU with chopped roof line etc and a Chevy van from the same era. Eventually went with the van because my parents owned a Chevy. I haven't thought about those models in decades.
It's good to see that you can still get great photos without spending a lot on expensive gear.

NaCl(thanks for the memories)H2O
You're welcome. I too love the old Hot Rod's and now having digital photography crossing over where I get to enjoy both hobbies together make it even better.

I had read many times about this lens being sharp so I thought I would give it a try. With a price of under $140.00 new made it even that much better. I'll post some photos of my favorite model soon. 1949 Mercury. First 1/24 scale Hot Wheels produced.
03-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You have some great shots of those models! I'm wondering what sort of lighting did you use for these photos?

Thanks!

03-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alvin: I have a set of Smith Victor 600 watt studio floods with barndoors and umbrellas that I purchased used. Maybe a little over kill for models, but I purchased the lights with the idea of doing some portraits of my kids. It has taken time to learn to use them correctly but the one thing I have learned is without good glass all the time in the world is not going to produce images that will really make you happy. The Promaster does a wonderful job considering the price. I now know why this lens is discussed so often on internet forums.

I have been trying to find a new 18-50 2.8 Macro from Sigma but as of yet have not found anyone who has this lens in stock for Pentax. As far as the lighting goes, if your interested in a set of lights I would suggest checking camera shops for used gear. I bought this whole set complete with stands, umbrellas, barndoors and quartz lights for less than $200.00. I can also use 250 watt bulbs should less light be required.
03-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice model and nice setup with the back drop etc!