Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Best of summre 2008 : birds (last series)
Posted By: bdery, 11-26-2008, 08:46 AM

Three last shots for this series, thes are lucky bird shots that happned this summer. I'm not a bird photographer by far, but somehow I met plenty of birds this summer...

1-Hummingbird

2- Heron taking flight

3-Woodpecker (the PF is cased by the 2X teleconverter I used for this shot)

Views: 1,429
11-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Humming bird in action, beautifully captured.

Great shots on all the three images.

marcus
11-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I really like the second shot, the way you captured the wings makes a great image.
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bdery - not a bird photographer eh? You may be and just don't realize it yet.
I tried to get a hummer all last summer with no luck. Well done.

Tom G

11-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I really like the second shot, the way you captured the wings makes a great image.
Thanks, both of you, for the comments. I must stress that I was lucky, especially for the heron shot. It just happened to land on the dock at our summer house, I had the camera in hand, so was able to capture it as it flew away. Nothing fancy.

For the hummy, we do have a feeder, so it helps, but the fellows are such whimps that they're hard to capture. I focused (manually) on the feeder, framed, then waited. Some shots came up great, some didn't.

The pecker just ignored us (while camping) and did its (noisy) thing. I had a few minutes to take pictures, while testing the (then completely new) teleconverter.
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky or not these are nice shots, especially the hummer.

Take care,
11-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots bdery,
Those Pileated Woodpeckers are pretty scarce around here and tough to photograph.

11-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They are all great images IMHO.

I particularly like the 3rd shot where the woodpecker was hidden in the shadow busy improving the health of the tree. It is hard to meter in the shadow under a high contrasty environment where you manage to freeze the action.
11-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Bdery - not a bird photographer eh? You may be and just don't realize it yet.
I tried to get a hummer all last summer with no luck. Well done.
Maybe you're right, who knows? It's not my main interest, but I did like the challenges. We placed a feeder for the hummingbird, and three of them kept coming. The hardest parts were : not scaring them, and holding the camera steady while waiting for them to come. I guess I could have used a tripod (should have...).

QuoteQuote:
I particularly like the 3rd shot where the woodpecker was hidden in the shadow busy improving the health of the tree. It is hard to meter in the shadow under a high contrasty environment where you manage to freeze the action.
I used manual metering, after a first evaluation with the Green button. I did shoot a LOT of pictures at that time, and not all came up good, far from it. It's not as if the bird waited for me or held still

Thanks for the feedback.
11-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Birds

Regardles, as to where it is luck or skill, the ability to capture most birds in flight is proper photo tecnique, and these photos definatly show that. Great capture as everyone has said.

jim
11-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots, especially that hummingbird. Good catch on the Pileated Woodpecker, they are awful shy and tough to get near.
11-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shots, especially that hummingbird. Good catch on the Pileated Woodpecker, they are awful shy and tough to get near.
Surprinsingly, the pecker wasn't that shy. If I moved too close it just went around the tree trunk, nothing more.

Jim, thank you for the praise. I must be honest and remind you that these are a few good shots out of dozens of average shots