Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Pale Headed Rosella
Lens: PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4. 5-5.6 ED DC AW Camera: Pentax K3 iii Photo Location: My Back Yard ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 06-17-2021, 01:28 AM

This must be the third or fourth time I have posted images of this bird in my back yard. The little blighter (often a mate) seems to almost always arrive near sunset, pushing ISO settings up. But it is such an exotic looking bird, I can't help taking more pics.

So here he is again.

Name:  K3P00190 Sm.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  218.8 KB

Views: 483
06-17-2021, 02:12 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful bird and beautiful photo. A slight offset of the frame would have been more suggestive. The image is too static.
06-17-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It certainly has some beautiful colors on it...
06-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very beautiful bird. My former employer had a pair in one of his aviaries (with some conures and ring-necks). A bit shy, as I recall, but the conures would intimidate just about anything in their territory!

06-17-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be snapping a bunch of that one as well. I like the shot. I only see a few fairly boring birds in my backyard.
06-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not the usual backyard bird you see here. If I saw a bird like that here, it would be an escapee from the zoo.
06-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Beautiful colors! I especially like this light blue/yellow tone on the "belly" of this bird.

06-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice shot! I used to see them often in SE Queensland, but never got a good photo.
06-18-2021, 12:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

He has amazing colors.
06-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
This must be the third or fourth time I have posted images of this bird in my back yard. The little blighter (often a mate) seems to almost always arrive near sunset, pushing ISO settings up. But it is such an exotic looking bird, I can't help taking more pics.

So here he is again.
Regardless of ISO setting, your K-3iii renders this scene very well.
06-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice capture of a beautiful little parrot. Well done.
06-18-2021, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saionu Quote
Beautiful bird and beautiful photo. A slight offset of the frame would have been more suggestive. The image is too static.
Thanks - yes, compostion is not always my strong point. There are a couple of shots in the link at the bottom with the bird framed by grass stems either side that might be a little better from the composition point of view.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
It certainly has some beautiful colors on it...
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Very beautiful bird. My former employer had a pair in one of his aviaries (with some conures and ring-necks). A bit shy, as I recall, but the conures would intimidate just about anything in their territory!
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
I'd be snapping a bunch of that one as well. I like the shot. I only see a few fairly boring birds in my backyard.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Not the usual backyard bird you see here. If I saw a bird like that here, it would be an escapee from the zoo.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Beautiful colors! I especially like this light blue/yellow tone on the "belly" of this bird.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice shot! I used to see them often in SE Queensland, but never got a good photo.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
He has amazing colors.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Regardless of ISO setting, your K-3iii renders this scene very well.
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice capture of a beautiful little parrot. Well done.
Gosh, so much interest - thank you all.

Here is a link to 3 or 4 more shots taken at the same time. You will need to give OneDrive a few seconds before the image sharpens up - OneDrive is a little slower than Flickr when rendering.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
06-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #13

Love bird! Thanks for sharing!
06-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
This must be the third or fourth time I have posted images of this bird in my back yard. The little blighter (often a mate) seems to almost always arrive near sunset,
I realize I forgot to comment on that part of your note... here in South Florida we have big flocks of naturalized parrots of one type or another, none of them native. Some years ago, when my next-door neighbors had a big messy Bauhinia ("orchid" tree, but not) tree next to the fence, when the tree was blooming, typically in winter, same time as there were loquats on my tree right beside it, every evening, like clockwork, right about 4-5pm, a huge flock of birds would show up to feast on the flowers and fruit. I think they were conures of some sort. But they were very punctual, always showing up for dinner at the same time everyday. Alas, the Bauhinia is gone (I do not lament its demise, that's another story ), so only a few birds come for the loquats.