Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My Sharpest (700mm) Tele Shots!
Posted By: Adam, 03-10-2007, 07:15 PM

My new 1.4x-L teleconverter came in today, so I decided to give it a test run right away. The only compatible lens I have is the K 500mm...

This converter, coupled with the lens, proved to produce one of my sharpest lens combinations ever! I used the resulting 700mm F6.3 mostly around F13.5, and here are the results:

I took a few tests photos of my neighbor's TV antenna from my back yard first, and then I went out to the take and took bird photos from a nice distance.

You can't see the screws and cables pictured below with the naked eye (about 150 feet away), but the most impressive part here would have to be the sharpness- and that's with the teleconverter! The photos below will speak for themselves- they just go to prove that Pentax did manufacture (all) quality products in the old days...

I set up my tripod about 200 feet away from the ducks and 500 feet away from the heron.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 3,336
03-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'll try to do some formal tests to check out the sharpest aperture when I find some spare time. This 500mm seems to be sharp just about everywhere, though!

I've used it with a Vivitar-MC 2x and got horrible results. Also not too great with the Takuma-A 2x.

BTW, is it possible to adapt K-mount teleconverters onto screwmount lenses?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i would certainly think so. you would just mount the S lens using the adapter to the TC instead of to the camera. i can see no reason why that would not work..
03-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mo, those are great shots. Surprised at the sharpness. Which exact Pentax 500 do you have? Have a friend trying to put a 700-800 combo together. We even called Pentax US to see what they had. They actually suggested Sigma for now.
thanks
barondla
03-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
so this teleconverter only works with pentax smc lenses?
No, it looks like it should work with any K mount lens that has sufficient clearance between the rear lens element and the mount. That means only long telephoto lenses because a lot of clearance is needed. At a glance it looks like it would work with my Tamron Adaptall 300 f/2.8 with a K mount adapter.

To check a particular lens you could set it to infinity and measure it, or you could set it to infinity and very carefully insert the adapter until it either touched the rear element housing or mounted on the lens, whichever came first. Just be sure to check the clearance somehow before you mount the adapter unless you like the idea of grinding your rear lens element against the front element of the adapter.

03-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Mo, those are great shots. Surprised at the sharpness. Which exact Pentax 500 do you have? Have a friend trying to put a 700-800 combo together. We even called Pentax US to see what they had. They actually suggested Sigma for now.
thanks
barondla
I have the SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5. It's a nice lens, but obviously not comparable to the FA* 600mm. I can't believe Pentax discontinued the FA* line of big guns...

Speaking of FA*'s- get them while you can! There's really no comparison between them and other AF Pentax lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
No, it looks like it should work with any K mount lens that has sufficient clearance between the rear lens element and the mount. That means only long telephoto lenses because a lot of clearance is needed. At a glance it looks like it would work with my Tamron Adaptall 300 f/2.8 with a K mount adapter.

To check a particular lens you could set it to infinity and measure it, or you could set it to infinity and very carefully insert the adapter until it either touched the rear element housing or mounted on the lens, whichever came first. Just be sure to check the clearance somehow before you mount the adapter unless you like the idea of grinding your rear lens element against the front element of the adapter.
I'd say you're safe to use that adapter with any lens longer than 300mm. The 300/2.8 works, too, but most others don't.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
so I can forget it for my Tamron f/4-5.6 ?
03-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If it's a short zoom, then no, this converter won't work. You can use any Pentax S converter, though

Adam