Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A few from past couple months.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM

As a few have commented, this can be a tougher month to be inspired. At least in my 'neck of the woods'. It's drab, raining and getting cold. I'd rather lots of snow. Blah blah. But I do look forward to going through all the pictures from the year and sorting through them. Many I haven't even looked at.

I need a better sorting system.

So here's a few discoveries from the last couple of months. C&C is always welcome.

This has B&W potential but I like the colour of the brick contrasted against the vines.

Yer standard purdy fall shot.

Can you believe that this shot was taken 10 days after the one above? Yeah we got a good dump of snow about a week ago.

This was an experiment and multi exposure (in camera). There was very little wind but just enough to rustle the leaves. The first shot was taken with a high shutter speed and the second with and ND filter and a much slower shutter speed, slightly overexposed and the lens was defocused just a touch. The combined image result was...

Finally an old trick I had forgotten and I had this couple all set up for the shot. I fired a couple of images and just thought it needed something more. The shot was OK but lacked punch IMO. I then remembered an old trick, Get the shot set up (Overexposure by almost 2 stops) and with a cable release breath on the front of the lens. Fire as fast as possible before the mist drys. The couple thought I was nuts but liked the shot when they got it.

Views: 3,792
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Great series. Love the winter shot. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the comment and having a look Pat. I'm sure this won't be the first winter shot in the next few months!

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
@daacon:

HTML Code:
We had one dump lasted about 3 days.
You know, in this day and age, you can get medicine to cure this.
Funny guy! I guess we left ourselves open to that.

11-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
2 and 3 are gorgeous, especially 3. Wow, simply. Great work!

That's a neat trick about misting the lens. Photoshop could probably do it, but it's much more fun to get things right the first time
Thanks for looking and I'm glad you enjoyed them. The fog on the lens does a nice job as a cheap diffuser.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Nice set. I really admire the vines and the snowy bridge.
A few of those vine shots might make a couple of interesting backgrounds to your creations. Thanks for the comments Jeff.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like them all, the first somehow attracts me most, beautiful texture, and the part of the blueish window in the upper left corner really makes this photo, adds the needed tension!
Yeah I took another with no window frame and looked at the LCD. It was easy to see the shot needed that to make it work better. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Nice shots Peter, no 2 is my fav, I love those kind of shots. Very creative set.
I do as well and have many of them stashed away but every once in awhile the light is just right...
11-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Peter, I am not sure how I missed out seeing your thread. What a fantastic series of photographys exploring various styles and themes.

Your wedding shot is my favorite. I like it like that. so gentle and artistic. Though they must be quite good looking, you actually make them blurred! Maybe the couple would love it a lot more. I would only try that when I got older with cataract and fragility.

The colour from these autumn leaves are stunning. So many twists and experimentation. I guess all of us are really sick of seeing distracting sharp clattering leaves even in the corners in websized internet pics...

Talk soon
11-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find #1 very intriguing... almost wonder what the entire structure looks like...

Great colors in the series Peter!

11-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting technique with the last shot. Usually we consider fog on (or even worse, in!) our lenses to be our enemy!...but you have made it your ally in this photo.

I really like the first shot with the vines and bricks. It's almost like a battle between man and nature. "I'll build a brick wall here," says Man. Nature's response: "Nope."
11-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Peter, I am not sure how I missed out seeing your thread. What a fantastic series of photographys exploring various styles and themes.

Your wedding shot is my favorite. I like it like that. so gentle and artistic. Though they must be quite good looking, you actually make them blurred! Maybe the couple would love it a lot more. I would only try that when I got older with cataract and fragility.

The colour from these autumn leaves are stunning. So many twists and experimentation. I guess all of us are really sick of seeing distracting sharp clattering leaves even in the corners in websized internet pics...

Talk soon
Thanks James. As the next weeks pass I am looking forward to sorting through a lot of unprocessed shots and seeing if there are any more 'gems' to be found. Appreciate the comments

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I find #1 very intriguing... almost wonder what the entire structure looks like...

Great colors in the series Peter!
Thanks Marc. The building is somwhat uninteresting and has a modern (ugly) annex added to one side connecting it to another new building. It used to be a church rectory. I will return there in winter when theres snow on the branches and also summer and fall as well. Thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Interesting technique with the last shot. Usually we consider fog on (or even worse, in!) our lenses to be our enemy!...but you have made it your ally in this photo.

I really like the first shot with the vines and bricks. It's almost like a battle between man and nature. "I'll build a brick wall here," says Man. Nature's response: "Nope."
I'd agree, that nature will eventually win that battle. I bet the vines are working their way through the cracks and mortar. Thanks for commenting.