Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few from past couple months.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM

As a few have commented, this can be a tougher month to be inspired. At least in my 'neck of the woods'. It's drab, raining and getting cold. I'd rather lots of snow. Blah blah. But I do look forward to going through all the pictures from the year and sorting through them. Many I haven't even looked at.

I need a better sorting system.

So here's a few discoveries from the last couple of months. C&C is always welcome.

This has B&W potential but I like the colour of the brick contrasted against the vines.

Yer standard purdy fall shot.

Can you believe that this shot was taken 10 days after the one above? Yeah we got a good dump of snow about a week ago.

This was an experiment and multi exposure (in camera). There was very little wind but just enough to rustle the leaves. The first shot was taken with a high shutter speed and the second with and ND filter and a much slower shutter speed, slightly overexposed and the lens was defocused just a touch. The combined image result was...

Finally an old trick I had forgotten and I had this couple all set up for the shot. I fired a couple of images and just thought it needed something more. The shot was OK but lacked punch IMO. I then remembered an old trick, Get the shot set up (Overexposure by almost 2 stops) and with a cable release breath on the front of the lens. Fire as fast as possible before the mist drys. The couple thought I was nuts but liked the shot when they got it.

Views: 3,793
11-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work Peter... I reallt like your work... #2 and 3 hit a home run for me. JIM
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great series Peter - love the fall and winter shots. Nice wedding shot as well. I hear ya on the weather. We had one dump lasted about 3 days. Blah Blah since then.
11-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Nice refreshing little series Peter, lovely colours in the fall shots. That first shot, is that on your house? How about a shot from below it looking up for an interesting perspective?
The snow scene is very pretty and fairy taleish.
Not sure about the wedding photo, reminds me a bit of a sci fi plot, you know, when the picture fades completely, they are no more.

11-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peter,

The number 4 shots looks like oil painting. The snow shot with water on the foreground is great. A geat series of images.

marcus
11-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like these images Peter. #3 has to be my fav, just a lovely landscape scene. I like the colours & water reflection for foreground interest of #2. Also like the patterns created by the vines and bricks in #1.
11-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Dave, You guys have had some very mild weather lately. We're just in that transition month, not fal and not quite winter. Mud month. Thanks for the comments.

Gary, the vines were on a church. I could go back there someday and might make a seasonal series of these, fall, winter, spring and summer. They turn bright red in fall.

marcusyoung. Thanks for commenting. That's what I was thinking with 4. I might get it printed on canvas and see how it looks. I like the effect (similar to Orton processing in the look). The snow scene worked out. Usually the water would be frozen but it's too early for that yet.

Daz, thanks for the look and note. The water reflections are what made this work for me as well.

11-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can see right now I'm going to be breathing on some lenses for the next few weeks. That's a hell of an idea!
11-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks Mike, it's something I did years ago and discovered by accident although I know lots of others have done this long before me. I remember doing this with with a K1000 first when I couldn't afford much more than developing costs (a diffuser was going to cut into the film budget).
11-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

2 and 3 are gorgeous, especially 3. Wow, simply. Great work!

That's a neat trick about misting the lens. Photoshop could probably do it, but it's much more fun to get things right the first time
11-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great series. Love the winter shot. Thanks for sharing
11-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

@daacon:

HTML Code:
We had one dump lasted about 3 days.
You know, in this day and age, you can get medicine to cure this.
11-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
jeffkpotter

Nice set. I really admire the vines and the snowy bridge.
11-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I like them all, the first somehow attracts me most, beautiful texture, and the part of the blueish window in the upper left corner really makes this photo, adds the needed tension!
11-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Peter, no 2 is my fav, I love those kind of shots. Very creative set.