Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bugs! 1 (675mb photo)
Posted By: LaRee, 11-26-2008, 09:23 PM

I have these visitors to my pepper plants almost every time I plant them. The common leafhopper you'll see, he looks like a small leaf with eyes and legs. He's right above the clump of the bugs I was trying to photograph. Oh and there is an ant above the leafhopper. In other photos I took you can see the way these bugs "hoard" each other. There are always ants around these bugs.

This is a 100% crop of about 50% of the frame. The wind was blowing and there wasn't enough light. I used the 360 flash the best I could, although I did blow out bits of the bug. It isn't a great macro, but I couldn't seem to get better this day. They are such strange and small little critters that I thought I'd share. I took more than 25 shots and I struggled with each one. Maybe I'll have better luck another day?
# Shutter Speed 1/160 second
# F16
# ISO 400
# Original Date/Time = 2008:11:24 12:40:18
Shutter Speed 1/160 second
# Aperture Value 8/1
Aperture = F16
# Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
# Focal Length = 12000/100 mm = 120 mm -- Voigtlander 125
I believe this bug is the same as listed on this page:
Side view - BugGuide.Net
Views: 2,846
11-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LaRee,

You are able to capture all the bugs, leafhopper and ants within the frame. There was another bug beneath the stem. Leafhopper seems different from my part of the world or maybe there is more than one type.

This is a great capture and definitely a great macro image and I know it is very challenging to have the right exposure.

marcus
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #3

Those bugs with the spikes are nasty looking! Awesome photo!
Mark
11-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Damn Brit

That's a great one LaRee, I feel like I'm in Land of the Giants.

11-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for looking and commenting guys. Here is another shot with ants. You won't find these bugs on their own, they secret some type of sweet serum that attracts the ants.

It is very gray outside in my area right now but I've been itching to get out with my camera. I think I'll take a jaunt before putting the ham in to cook. I'm making a turkey on Saturday for our big family get together. Today will just be a couple friends with nowhere else to go for this Thanksgiving.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
11-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

seriously good macro, LaRee

The green and the setting really makes the shot tick. Great details too
11-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #7

!!!非常恶心的蚂蚁进食场面!
11-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Very cool macro shot indeed!

I am curious to know what the spiked bugs could be so I poked around What's That Bug? Insect identification. I think they may be a Helmeted Squash Bug nymphs, but I am not sure. As nymphs they have spikes, but I can't seem to find a decent image of them.

Thanks for sharing.

11-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
jeffkpotter

They look like alien creatures. Love the way the whole image works with the curving plant forms.
Especially the 2nd one.
11-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

The bugs give me the creeps. In your second image, it looks like the green vein is another giant bug ready to consume the other two in a cycle- a food chain.

JMR
11-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That is a strange world when you get in so close very nice work LaRee:-).
11-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, but you are giving me the creeps! They are really weird looking bugs and the spikes on make them even more strange to me. These are not the same bugs that I had a couple years ago. I really think these are more like the bugguide link I posted in my first post. They sure look like the Hawaiian bug in that link.
It really is a strange world with a macro lens. I didn't even see the leafhopper until I zoomed in on the lcd to review a shot. It is so interesting to watch bugs and the way they support each other like a community. I don't use any pesticides on my garden so I have a lot of bugs. So far it seems to be working out. After years of no insecticides, mother nature does a good job of keeping everything in balance. My vegetable garden is usually very happy, and I get the pleasure of chasing after bugs with my camera.
11-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Whew... I was worried when the title said 675MB photo - I was staying away from it!!!

I like those images LaRee - beautiful greens, etc. and the typical "mob" beahavior I see with some of those smaller insects. Well done!