Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Sleepy Black Bear mom and cubs
Lens: 55-300 PLM WR RE Camera: K3MKIII Photo Location: Home in North Central Pennsylvania 
Posted By: joelbolden, 06-19-2021, 10:18 PM

The other day I came home from town and found a big Black Bear sow and her 3 cubs using my large White Oak as a napping tree. First the cubs climbed up and went to sleep, and eventually Mom climbed up. They were up there for about 40 minutes and then they all came down. They moved a bit farther into the woods, where Mom provided an after-snooze nursing, then wandered off. I was about 50 feet away, up on my deck with my camera(and a 12 guage/#00 buck....just in case), but after a quick look at me they just ignored me and went about their business. I was amazed that mom could climb that Oak; she was really big and the first branches are about 12 feet up. I can't even imagine the strength that entailed. Interesting encounter. The K3iii/55-300PLM did a great job. I had a chance to use my DOF Bracketing mode(+1.5 stops). The only editing here on LR was I used the Auto function for the first time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Views: 306
06-20-2021, 01:35 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series of shots and a good story. That is kind of close with a 55-300. But when you say you were ''up on the deck" maybe they don't process you as a threat unless you are at ground level.
06-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great shots! I much prefer our Koalas, they dont eat meat.
06-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What a Great series and opportunity! I think I would be floored to see that here in my yard. Raccoons ..no problem.. Bears are here but we rarely see them. Thanks for sharing.

al

06-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #5

Wow, amazing shots! I never saw a bear climbing trees before. Thanks for sharing!