Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Beautiful day on the north shore of Lake Superior
Lens: sigma 18-35 Camera: ks-2 Photo Location: Grand Marais ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: swanlefitte, 06-20-2021, 11:23 AM

I was even photo bombed by a fish! Couldn't ask for bluer skies, better temperature. clearer atmosphere, or calmer water.

Views: 421
06-20-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it makes me want to be there. ;-)
06-20-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful scene, nice shot.
06-20-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cropping the right side will make the composition better. But that's just my opinion. All in all, a great shot. The sky and reflections are mesmerizing. And 3 yachts create movement in perspective

06-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
Cropping the right side will make the composition better. But that's just my opinion. All in all, a great shot. The sky and reflections are mesmerizing. And 3 yachts create movement in perspective
that was my first thought but then I looked at the canoe and the spacing both to the left and the just lower connects the land to the lake in a tension I really like. Like you say it is all opinion and what works for one perspective destroys the other.
I appreciate your reasoning. I might do both.
06-20-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #6

Very peaceful! Nice capture.
I did wonder about cropping the canoe as well (just because its shouting green colour), but the picture works with a wide aspect ratio (more panoramic, less square). Perhaps worth trying a wide crop without the reflections in the water. Alternatively, perhaps alter the canoe's green to a cyan that would fit better with the colour palette of the scene and wouldn't look out of place?
Also, I wonder how it would look with a long exposure, to make the picture look a bit more like a painting.
06-20-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chessov Quote
I did wonder about cropping the canoe as well (just because its shouting green colour), but the picture works with a wide aspect ratio (more panoramic, less square). Perhaps worth trying a wide crop without the reflections in the water.
Yeah the canoe color is annoying. Probably will desaturate it to keep it close to what was without screaming. I wouldn't have considered cropping those gorgous reflections but that looks cool cropping just below the fish.
The water and sky were soo calm I think I might have needed a tripod for a long enough exposure to create effect on anything but the canoe.
This might be a good photoshop challenge.

06-20-2021, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The sky's reflection in the water is perfect.