Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
M51
Lens: RC6 Camera: K3II Photo Location: Pritchard B.C. ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: aitrus3, 06-25-2021, 11:28 AM

Haven't shared any images for a while. May as well now to give you all something to comment on for the giveaway.
M51 from april, prior to perfect collimation.

Views: 425
06-25-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Images like this earn my respect because although I’ve seen images of this subject before, they’re generally from academic research telescopes and it’s hard to imagine they’re possible with “ordinary” cameras. How wrong can you be!

A fine piece of work. .
06-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Images like this earn my respect because although I’ve seen images of this subject before, they’re generally from academic research telescopes and it’s hard to imagine they’re possible with “ordinary” cameras. How wrong can you be!

A fine piece of work. .

Definitely possible when you know what you're doing I'm still a noob with this type of telescope, but I am improving slowly.
Thanks for the kind words
06-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would echo the previous comment, a telescope helps of course but the technique is there, very nice work and you should be proud of it.

06-25-2021, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
May as well now to give you all something to comment on for the giveaway.
Most considerate of you, especially with a fine astro picture like that
06-25-2021, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trully impressive. Thanks for sharing.
06-26-2021, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Most considerate of you, especially with a fine astro picture like that
Heh You're welcome I didn't even notice there was a competition so I'm starting from behind, again. It's hard to remember to come on here when it gets so quiet. ..

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Trully impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks It has issues but I am solving those. Unfortunately, the K3II isn't a good match for my telescope. The pixels are too small so the stars look fatter. One of the reasons why nightscape photogs don't like high megapixels - the pixels are smaller, stars look bloated. It also makes tracking/guiding harder as the small pixels show errors far sooner.

06-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mysterious, compelling, fascinating. Too bad we can't travel at warp speed yet. I'd love to see this close up. Your capture is a fine record of something exquisitely beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
06-26-2021, 11:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Haven't shared any images for a while. May as well now to give you all something to comment on for the giveaway.

Thank you for posting this, an ideal combination for the raffle and my interest in astrophotography. Well done by the way.
06-27-2021, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Mysterious, compelling, fascinating. Too bad we can't travel at warp speed yet. I'd love to see this close up. Your capture is a fine record of something exquisitely beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
That would be neat, unfortunately even at warp speed, this is unreachable. If you consider, at Warp 10 (10x the speed of light, as per Star Trek) it would still take 10,000 years for us to reach the other side of the Milky Way. Instantaneous travel is the only viable solution.

QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
Thank you for posting this, an ideal combination for the raffle and my interest in astrophotography. Well done by the way.
Thanks! Yeah the 31mm is something i have been longing for for more detailed milky way images. It would be the perfect focal length on my crop sensor.
07-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a really nice shot - I like to imagine, or perhaps more correctly, understand that the stars we see are on a plane well in front of the nebula, like dust motes on a filter
07-09-2021, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my favorites. I did a lot of visual astronomy years ago (circa 1965). Images like this were totally out of reach of any amateur back then. Great job!
11-17-2023, 10:12 AM   #13

Beautiful, and impressive work.
11-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cubefarmer Quote
Beautiful, and impressive work.
Thanks! It's an old one. Hopefully I've gotten better now!
11-17-2023, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Missed this one the first time through. Pretty shot. My older brother formerly took great Astrophotography images. I should have gotten some pointers from him while he was actively doing it.