Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Straw-Necked Ibis
Lens: PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4. 5-5.6 ED DC AW Camera: Pentax K3 iii Photo Location: My front yard ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 06-28-2021, 07:15 PM

NOT the sadly nick-named "bin chicken" ibis. Very colourful wings and strange neck plumage on this Ibis. I opened my bedroom curtains and saw it wandering around my front lawn!! Quick scamper to grab the K3 iii - fortunately the Monster (150-450) was already mounted) and then a very careful and quiet exit out the front door. But the bird actually wandered around grazing my front lawn for almost a half hour!

Unfortunately, that was still not enough time for my brain to fully wake up - so it didn't occur to me that a zoom lens can zoom both in AND out.
So apologies for the chopped off tail. I did manage some shots encompassing the whole bird, but this still seemed a better choice for detail and image clarity.

It was a very dull overcast morning, so the sheen in the wing colours is a little subdued.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Views: 287
06-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting bird! The bill looks like it has been intentionally decorated.
Too bad about the "buck fever" of trying to capture the one and only chance, first thing in the morning. Focusing on the main part, and not seeing the tail. Have been there and done that!
Angky.
06-29-2021, 03:18 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot of a "Mungindi shearer". For our friends elsewhere, in days gone by shearers would not work if the sheep were wet (it may have been something that came from the blade shearing days back in the 1800s). Along with that, there was a belief that straw-necked ibises always turned up just before rain. Mungindi (pronounced mung-in-die) is out in sheep country and suposedly the shearers from there - just like the ibis - would turn up just before it was going to rain. Actually, I have found they turn up in large numbers when there is lots of food, such as grasshoppers, around.

What does this mean for K2 to K50? Well, I doubt his garden is overrun with grasshoppers. But he is certainly going to get a few buckets of rain over the next few days.

Chalk up "1" for folk wisdom.
06-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That`s a pretty Bin chicken! We mostly have the white version here.

06-29-2021, 05:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot of a "Mungindi shearer". For our friends elsewhere, in days gone by shearers would not work if the sheep were wet (it may have been something that came from the blade shearing days back in the 1800s). Along with that, there was a belief that straw-necked ibises always turned up just before rain. Mungindi (pronounced mung-in-die) is out in sheep country and suposedly the shearers from there - just like the ibis - would turn up just before it was going to rain. Actually, I have found they turn up in large numbers when there is lots of food, such as grasshoppers, around.

What does this mean for K2 to K50? Well, I doubt his garden is overrun with grasshoppers. But he is certainly going to get a few buckets of rain over the next few days.

Chalk up "1" for folk wisdom.
Fascinating Outback lore, Pete! One of the shots I took, the Ibis had dug up a grub from the ground - i caught it in his bill. But you are right - there is no overt signs of grasshoppers in any number (just the very occasional one spotted every so often.
06-29-2021, 05:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You got the rainbows in the wings really well!
06-29-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An interesting bird for sure .