Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Early summer flowers in Ukraine
Lens: Pentax-M 50mm f/2 with Hoya +4 macro filter Camera: Pentax k-30 
Posted By: Poonis5, 07-01-2021, 08:03 AM

Hello everyone. Just posting some nice flowers again.
I've recently started doing digital macro photography after 5 years of film, so I would also like a macro photography book recommendation if anyone knows a book about it.
I saw that my photos were downsized when I uploaded them. Does anyone know how to attach them in a better resolution?
Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 467
07-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Poonis5. Did you read the appropriate sticky at the top of the page?
07-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Poonis5 Quote
Does anyone know how to attach them in a better resolution?

Looking at your EXIF data, these images are about 1360 x 900 pixels in size, and have a jpeg quality of 85%. I've found that if I keep the images I post to no more than 1200W x 800H pixels, the jpeg quality stays at 100%. I think the image height is more likely to trigger compression, but I could be wrong. YMMV.
07-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Looking at your EXIF data, these images are about 1360 x 900 pixels in size, and have a jpeg quality of 85%. I've found that if I keep the images I post to no more than 1200W x 800H pixels, the jpeg quality stays at 100%. I think the image height is more likely to trigger compression, but I could be wrong. YMMV.
Glad to know about the pixel quality versus image size. I wondered why my images were losing resolution. This probably explains it.

The flower with the metallic wood borer in what looks to be a poppy flower is interesting; what is he doing there?
Angky.

07-02-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Hi Poonis5. Did you read the appropriate sticky at the top of the page?
No, but I will right now.

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 05:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Thanks for the tip!
07-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Glad to know about the pixel quality versus image size. I wondered why my images were losing resolution.
QuoteOriginally posted by Poonis5 Quote
Thanks for the tip!
I had the same problem with the jpeg quality of the images I posted until I accidentally noticed the image size influence. Please note: this is just MY experience. Others may have different opinions. I imagine you could go a little bigger than 1200 x 800 and keep the posted image quality at 95% or so. I certainly don't mean to come off sounding like some sort of expert on the topic. I have noticed though that many people's images that are 900 pix high tend to have a jpeg quality of 85%.

Some imaging software is quite good at keeping the image quality up if, say for instance, you resize an image from 2400 x 1600 down to 1200 x 800. Other software not so much. GIMP seems to do pretty well. I've recently started using FastStone, and it does better than my everyday editor PhotoFiltre, which I've used for maaaany years. It's very good at many things, but not resizing. These three titles are free. No doubt some commercial software is better.
07-02-2021, 10:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, start a flickr page. I post my images from Flickr here. And if someone desires to see full resolution they can see it on Flickr by clicking the image. Here is an example. Use the Left Arrow icon on your Flickr page, and BBC Code.