Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
southwest desert rock art
Lens: 27, 50, 200 mm zoom Camera: K 1000 Photo Location: Utah Deserts 
Posted By: mymaiseygirl, 07-02-2021, 02:24 PM

Thinking about going to the Great Gallery 3 1/2 miles in down this trail and then back out again. Then u get to drive out the 42 mile unmaintained dirt rd that u drove in on. Then another fifty miles back to civilization. Sorry but I wont be ur guide - not ever going back there - yes once was quite enough!

Nine Mile Canyon at least is more of a drive by except for the owl panel where you have to hike a short distance. Not too many owl panels in the world I guess its worth a short hike. Out of Wellington Utah

The Antelope image was shot with a 200 mm telephoto - Have no idea how the ancients accessed that rock!

Last edited by mymaiseygirl; 07-26-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Views: 255
07-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
07-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe those artists were sitting in a boat when this was a swamp.
Very clean images of those rock drawings.
Angky.
07-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dry climate and remote location must aid preservation of this art. Nice images. When did you take them with the K-1000?

07-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those are really cool! Thanks for sharing because I know without a doubt, I couldn’t handle the trip in getting there.
07-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Those are really cool! Thanks for sharing because I know without a doubt, I couldn’t handle the trip in getting there.
Yes I hear that - Thanks for looking

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 10:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
The dry climate and remote location must aid preservation of this art. Nice images. When did you take them with the K-1000?
I went to Nine Mile Canyon in Utah in 1995 and to the Great Gallery in 2001 when I lived in Colorado just before moving to New Mexico Thanks for looking

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Yes ur welcome - Glad u liked them - Dont think Ill be getting back to those places

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Maybe those artists were sitting in a boat when this was a swamp.
Very clean images of those rock drawings.
Angky.
maybe - I guess it couldve been a swamp - Right where those images are is a small stand of trees maybe left over from the swamp??
07-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mymaiseygirl Quote
The Antelope image was shot with a 200 mm telephoto - Have no idea how the ancients accessed that rock!
I've often wondered how they did it too.

Nice! Very impressive. Saw lots of these in different places on my recent road trip to Utah. I thought about going to the Great Galley but quickly passed on that. I admire you for making the journey.

07-03-2021, 12:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I've often wondered how they did it too.

Nice! Very impressive. Saw lots of these in different places on my recent road trip to Utah. I thought about going to the Great Galley but quickly passed on that. I admire you for making the journey.
All I can say is when ur young u do some crazy things like hiking to the GG - I dont know what I was thinking - A very spur of the moment decision I recall. Yes good decision to pass on it. Heres a heads up for anyone thinking about making that trip.

At the very beginning, you descend into that canyon down a steep switchback that is severely covered in fine sand. No problem going down. But have you ever tried walking up on beach sand. Yes thats a real problem thats not in the hiking manuals. You about need a rope to get urself out of there. One step up and two steps back. Yes I was on my hands and knees. Well I guess I lived to tell about it. Really appreciate ur thoughts. Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-03-21 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Yes ur welcome and thank u for looking
07-03-2021, 06:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific series of images. I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for the arm chair adventure.