Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
An Elk in the Trees
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Yellowstone ISO: 5000 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: JimS_256, 07-11-2021, 12:59 PM

Spotted this guy in the trees, pulled off the road and grabbed some quick shots without looking at the settings (ISO5000, sigh). It's also cropped quite a bit but I still like it (I just won't be making any 12x18 prints).
Views: 303
07-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good eye, good catch. You got the shot. I've often failed to adjust the shutter speed and aperture and attempted to salvage photos in post.
07-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those aren’t easy to catch once they start moving. Good shot
07-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's over 5000! --oh sorry, that's a different forum. It doesn't look too noisy here on the forum. So it sounds like elk have the same ninja ability that deer have that makes hunters(and photographers) make every possible mistake onroute to making a quick getaway. Still a great and rare sight, thanks for sharing.

Also congrats on going to Yellowstone!

07-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A good capture considering the circumstances.
07-12-2021, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one. They really do blend in well with their surroundings. Usually not much time to get the shot once they get going.
07-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An excellent capture, and it is still better that you captured it at ISO 5000 than not at all. You might want to try Topaz Denoise AI. It works wonders with high noise images if you are not opposed to that kind of processing.

07-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nice one. They really do blend in well with their surroundings. Usually not much time to get the shot once they get going.
Well yes, this is a very good shot in rather difficult circumstances.
07-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Good eye, good catch. You got the shot. I've often failed to adjust the shutter speed and aperture and attempted to salvage photos in post.
I still make the mistake regularly but I am getting better. Thanks for commenting!

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Those aren’t easy to catch once they start moving. Good shot
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
It's over 5000! --oh sorry, that's a different forum. It doesn't look too noisy here on the forum. So it sounds like elk have the same ninja ability that deer have that makes hunters(and photographers) make every possible mistake onroute to making a quick getaway. Still a great and rare sight, thanks for sharing.

Also congrats on going to Yellowstone!
Not so rare a sight in Yellowstone. We saw waaaay too many bison, a lot of elk, a couple of bears (which was lucky) and no wolves . Thanks for commenting!
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A good capture considering the circumstances.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Thanks! I have to give my wife credit for spotting it in the first place.
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
An excellent capture, and it is still better that you captured it at ISO 5000 than not at all. You might want to try Topaz Denoise AI. It works wonders with high noise images if you are not opposed to that kind of processing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not opposed to that kind of processing. My goal in post is to make the image look like what I saw. In this case the image is so busy the noise really isn't noticeable.

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Well yes, this is a very good shot in rather difficult circumstances.
Thanks! I had the shutter set to burst mode and took several. Everything just lined up for this one.