Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Tiger Swallowtail Portrait
Lens: Trinocular microscope Camera: Pentax K-7 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s 
Posted By: Philoslothical, 07-11-2021, 05:53 PM

There are very few butterflies where I am this year. Every summer I compete with the ants to collect their dead along the roads and highways near where I live, to make photos like this. It's my third year doing it, and compared to the last two years butterfly populations have plummeted with most species affected. I was lucky enough to find three tiger swallowtails over multiple hikes, and this is one of their faces. If you look closely you can just see the opposing eye through the opening formed by the coiled proboscis. This is a focus stacked composite of 156 exposures. I really don't care about technical perfection when I make these, because this is the kind of photography I truly love doing. It's the process. I highly recommend microscopes and focus stacking as an extension of our macro photography hobbies.

If you enjoy this, there is a lot more from last year on my website. It's a non-commercial site, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 07-11-2021 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Views: 401
07-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is incredible fine detail. I commend you for the effort that you put into this work. This is excellent.

Last edited by MikeNArk; 07-12-2021 at 06:37 AM.
07-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm just trying to get back into the swing of it again for this year. I have a K-3 incoming that should make it more exciting than usual for me, too. Manual stacking is time consuming but it's great fun.
07-12-2021, 02:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you have a machine that increases the butterfly or reduces you?

07-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's clear that you put a lot of work into your photography! Thanks for sharing!
07-12-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
Do you have a machine that increases the butterfly or reduces you?
In a sense, the microscope does increase the butterfly. Sometimes I feel a little bit reduced by the experience. So, yes?

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
It's clear that you put a lot of work into your photography! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you both for commenting. I find the enjoyment I derive from doing this kind of photography to be therapeutic so I try to spend a good amount of time engaging in it.
07-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Impressive shot!

07-13-2021, 12:12 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Astounding! Both the amount of care and work it took, and the result.
07-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amazing shot with so much details. Thanks for sharing.
07-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #10
5ks
Pentaxian

Hard to believe such a photo is possible to make. But there it is, and - I feel speechless. You really earn lots of respect of your skills!
07-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Impressive shot!
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Astounding! Both the amount of care and work it took, and the result.
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Amazing shot with so much details. Thanks for sharing.
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Hard to believe such a photo is possible to make. But there it is, and - I feel speechless. You really earn lots of respect of your skills!
Thank you all for the nice comments. I'm not used to the generous feedback, I don't post very often.

5ks, if you (or anybody else here) is interested in getting into this stuff, I started a thread here last year. The way I do things has evolved a bit since then, but I'm happy to discuss it. I love to spread the interest. I'm no expert but I enjoy it a lot.

Here's one more of the scales of the same butterfly pictured above. They're small wing scales on the underside of the wing, fairly close to the body. I used 360 exposures in this one, and my compound microscope rather than my continuous zoom (which is better for lower magnification stuff like the "portrait"). These two stacks are among my first attempts at using strobes for lighting, rather than continuous light, so I'm still experimenting and figuring out what works. I have some new gear incoming, too, which should help quite a lot.

07-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one of the things I love about this forum. I don't have anywhere near the patience or skill for this type of photography but I love seeing it and it amazes me. Excellent work.
07-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I had no idea butterfly actually had scales. You learn something everyday. Thanks for sharing this new picture./
07-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Thank you all for the nice comments. I'm not used to the generous feedback, I don't post very often.

5ks, if you (or anybody else here) is interested in getting into this stuff, I started a thread here last year. The way I do things has evolved a bit since then, but I'm happy to discuss it. I love to spread the interest. I'm no expert but I enjoy it a lot.

Here's one more of the scales of the same butterfly pictured above. They're small wing scales on the underside of the wing, fairly close to the body. I used 360 exposures in this one, and my compound microscope rather than my continuous zoom (which is better for lower magnification stuff like the "portrait"). These two stacks are among my first attempts at using strobes for lighting, rather than continuous light, so I'm still experimenting and figuring out what works. I have some new gear incoming, too, which should help quite a lot.
You are doing fascinating work with your gear!

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
This is one of the things I love about this forum. I don't have anywhere near the patience or skill for this type of photography but I love seeing it and it amazes me. Excellent work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I had no idea butterfly actually had scales. You learn something everyday. Thanks for sharing this new picture./
Like what you guys said - this Forum is an education every day, and not just in photographic matters!