Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Wild brook cascading from the mountains, Laurentide Wildlife Reserve, QUEBEC.
Lens: DA 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Quebec, CANADA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 07-12-2021, 01:26 PM

Scene along Route 175 north of Quebec City. DA 18-135 mm ED WR at 78 mm FL @ f/11 on a K3.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 310
07-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is beautiful
07-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful photo with vivid colors and contrast.
07-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was traveling at about 55 mph when I saw the cascade. I stopped and drove back to the site, taking great precautions with the incoming traffic. The result was well worth the trouble, I think. Thank you for your kind words.

07-13-2021, 05:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I was traveling at about 55 mph when I saw the cascade. I stopped and drove back to the site, taking great precautions with the incoming traffic. The result was well worth the trouble, I think. Thank you for your kind words.
Nice find!

I sometimes get in trouble for doing that too often on road trips. :P
07-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very bright, vivid colours, a lot of movement!
07-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice colors and textures. I really like how the stream curves through the frame.

07-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Very bright, vivid colours, a lot of movement!
Bernard, can you explain why this particular zoom has such a poor reputation in most reviews ? Personally, my copy performs beautifully and seems uniformly sharp all over. Am I simply lucky to have bought a "rare" really good one or what ?

Thank you for your prompt answer !
07-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bernard, can you explain why this particular zoom has such a poor reputation in most reviews ? Personally, my copy performs beautifully and seems uniformly sharp all over. Am I simply lucky to have bought a "rare" really good one or what ?Thank you for your prompt answer !
Not Bernard but I have one that seems very sharp as well. I found an excellent deal, saw your shots in the reviews and went for it. Way better than the kit lens I had.
07-13-2021, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Bernard, can you explain why this particular zoom has such a poor reputation in most reviews ? Personally, my copy performs beautifully and seems uniformly sharp all over. Am I simply lucky to have bought a "rare" really good one or what ?

Thank you for your prompt answer !
I think it has a fine reputation. Users love it, it's reliable and compact. People often compare it with the 20-40 and 16-85, both are better optically, but the first has a shorter range and the second is bigger. That's all.
07-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your encouraging words ! Before acquiring this DA 18-135 mm ED WR lens, I hesitated a lot. Most reviews I read were not very "enthusiastic", to say the least (sharp center but fuzzy corners, unusable in the longer ranges, etc). Then I saw images from an Australian contributor (DES) and decided to order an inexpensive used copy on eBay from Japan. Strangely, it never gave me a fuzzy or unsharp picture. I do landscapes mostly, using apertures of f/8 to f/16 all the time (55 years of experience talking). Someone said "there are no bad lenses at f/11" but I know a bad lens when I see one, be it in some focal ranges or at certain apertures. This one is very sharp, contrasty and produces great colors in the entire focal range. It doesn't veil when the light source appears in the image (sunsets mostly). Near or far pictures remain equally sharp. I think when you read other people's reviews, you can believe some but leave some also, always keeping a doubt in the back of your mind. Like Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify !".

Best Regards
07-13-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful. i normally get myself in trouble when I do something like that.