Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hockey+highscore= fighting Bruins VS. Islanders NHL
Posted By: vievetrick, 11-29-2008, 08:18 AM

I was given tickets to see the Boston Bruins take on the New York Islanders this Friday 11/28/08. My brother nephew and son headed into Boston for Black Out Friday. It was a lot of fun and we had great seats. The game was close until the 3rd period when the B's ran away with it. Then the fighting started. I had the K10 and shot some with the 77ltd and the Sigma 70-200 (old version) Nothing great but thought I would share. All cropped and tweaked here and there. I wish I knew what the correct WB should be. Shot in RAW and tweaked but still look a bit off. Comments suggests always welcomed.

Last edited by vievetrick; 11-29-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Views: 2,869
11-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pat, these images are very fine in deed.

They remind me the time I spent in New York Maddison square watching a similar match and I found the games very thrilling. Especially pizza and hot doggs were 12 dollar each at the time.
11-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, yea it is a bummer trying to pay for even a bag of popcorn. Thanks for the comment.
11-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Forum Member

i think they should also be on WWWF
TFS

11-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly, I am not a huge hockey fan so I will ask because I am sure there are more than a few year. What is the deal with the ref's and fighting. I mean they just kinda stand there watching and watching and watching until they finale jump in to stop the scuffle. I just wonder is there some unwritten rule that says okay let them swing it out a minute or two to give the fans their moneys worth.
11-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shooting Pat. These are great.

Hockey baffles me. Pretty much any other team sport, throwing a punch and fighting is a cause for ejection from the game. In hockey, it seems, the refs just stand there and let it run it's course. Hilarious.
11-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots Pat - I would love to go the Garden's for a Bruins game. I went to a fights and a hockey game broke out. They have changed the rules over the years to try and lessen fighting , but it is an intrugal pat of the game. It can fire a time up, change momentum there are as many against it as for it, but I am old school and am for it. Most of the combatents actually agree to fight before hand. THe Bruins have a god team this year - they should be eastern contenders for Lord Stanley.

It's kind of funy fighting is still allowed. In the minor ranks these days almost all players wear cages on their helments so it's not unitl you get up to the higher ranks where you can just opt for a helmet

As for prices a few years ago there was a study of what it would cost an average family of 4 to go to a hockey game. I think Boston was the most exepsive and averag of $300 seems to come to mind (including a hot dog and pop, parking and cheap tickets)

12-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

More shots of the goaltenders, please.
12-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mel and Dave for the comments and info. Dave let me know if you make it down this way I can try and get tickets again. Lucky for the tickets and parking where free. Food that is another story. Spent about $50 for my son and me alone.

Only one decent goalie shot I liked. Matt hope you like them. (still needs a tweak)

12-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Thanks Mel and Dave for the comments and info. Dave let me know if you make it down this way I can try and get tickets again. Lucky for the tickets and parking where free. Food that is another story. Spent about $50 for my son and me alone.

Only one decent goalie shot I liked. Matt hope you like them. (still needs a tweak)

*weeping softly* I miss seeing a good game now and then.
Let's go! Everybody sing!
The goalie jumps, and the players bump,
And the fans all go insane;
Someone roars, "Bobby scores!"
At the good old hockey game.

Oh! The good old hockey game,
Is the best game you can name;
And the best game you can name,
Is the good old Hockey game!

Maybe crop out that last Bruin on the right and just above the glass in the lower left and I would call that a pretty good shot of the best game you can name.
Everybody!

Oh! The good old hockey game,
Is the best game you can name;
And the best game you can name,
Is the good old Hockey game!
12-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know what the deal with fighting and refs is, Pat, but I know it tends to be once someone hits the ice they break it up. Strange how it works. I think it's rather silly, not that I really mind it myself, but as part of the sport I don't quite understand the value, other than "here, you, enforcer, go after the other team's enforcer..., let's hope it turns the momentum of the game..." blah blah -

What other sport just randomly breaks into a backyard brawl, and it's actually considered part of the game? (and I'm a big hockey fan...)

Have to say, the best deal ever was when I was in college in Pittsburgh - they had a deal for students - any unsold tickets were $16 at the door. I think I went to 12 games in one season, including a playoff game vs. Montreal, for $16 each. Got great seats too. I really have to scan some of my old shots from back then - even got some shots of Lemieux.
12-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The bad part about it all was I knew it would happen when the score got high. I than had to explain to my eight year old that it is not really good sportsmanship. This while 15000 people are cheering and clapping. I explained that they do get a penalty and it really is not a good thing. I think he got it. I hope he got it
12-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Honestly, I am not a huge hockey fan so I will ask because I am sure there are more than a few year. What is the deal with the ref's and fighting. I mean they just kinda stand there watching and watching and watching until they finale jump in to stop the scuffle. I just wonder is there some unwritten rule that says okay let them swing it out a minute or two to give the fans their moneys worth.

I believe it has been proven, time and again, that fights in hockey bring in the crowds--so there you have it. In America, if something makes money, they keep making more of it until the saturation point is reached.

Although I am not a fan of the sport, it sure is inspiring to see these guys glide up and down the ice so easily. At least the fights are real, unlike some other so-called "professional" sport.

Pat--thanks for the great work!
12-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

nice shots, it was looooooooooong since I've watched NHL game. Great sport - ice hockey. I always liked how refs just kind of stand around, biding their time and let the players sort it out themselves...