Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
First time ND 10 stop filter
Lens: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Ohiopyle OH 
Posted By: bedisaab, 07-15-2021, 04:19 PM

First time I tried 10 stop ND filter or any filter

---------- Post added 07-15-21 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bedisaab Quote
First time I tried 10 stop ND filter or any filter
I wish I knew more about how to edit waterfalls in the Lightroom. I will watch few more videos

Last edited by bedisaab; 07-19-2021 at 07:18 AM.
Views: 311
07-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has smoothed the motion nicely. I suppose there is a knack to picking the right water scene to get the image you want. And getting a feel for what the filter will achieve.
07-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
It has smoothed the motion nicely. I suppose there is a knack to picking the right water scene to get the image you want. And getting a feel for what the filter will achieve.
Yes but I couldn’t figure out how to whiten the water more without increasing the exposure.

I rarely use editing software so need some practice
07-17-2021, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your shutter speed is in the region where apparently small changes make a lot of difference and it’s well worth experimenting with different speeds to get the results you want. For example, your aperture was f/9, so you can double the shutter speed to 4s without stopping down too much for the same exposure. Or speed it up a touch to get more texture in the water. Use image review next time you try this to see how small changes affect the results while you’re on site.

Global changes of exposure, contrast etc in Lightroom are not going to cut it, learn how to use a brush adjustment for local editing. It’s fun, so keep at it!

07-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say, good first try. Nice smooth flow. I definitely need to learn more about this myself. Thanks for sharing.
07-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Your shutter speed is in the region where apparently small changes make a lot of difference and it’s well worth experimenting with different speeds to get the results you want. For example, your aperture was f/9, so you can double the shutter speed to 4s without stopping down too much for the same exposure. Or speed it up a touch to get more texture in the water. Use image review next time you try this to see how small changes affect the results while you’re on site.

Global changes of exposure, contrast etc in Lightroom are not going to cut it, learn how to use a brush adjustment for local editing. It’s fun, so keep at it!
I second these suggestions. You might experience the shutter speed within limits like (e.g.) 1/10 - 5 seconds to see the difference in the water. If you only have one ND filter, you can vary both aperture and ISO values to make the testing.

And with Lightroom, the brush tool is very useful to finetune the lightness and clarity/softness of the water.

Anyway, your first time ND pic is very nice!
07-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks I would go to waterfalls more often now to try different shutter speeds and learn how to use the brush adjustments