Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Working on more Low Key shots: LR only
Posted By: metroeloise, 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM

I took these shots is October. Before many lessons and wanted to see how I would treat them now to compare with the original batch. All of these were shot with the Sigma 17-35mm I think. Will check on that. All are processed only within Lightroom.

Just downloaded Photoshop CS4 Extended. Hum. And some Plugins. Will be revisiting some of these, and the rest of my favorites, to play with too. (Mel, I quote you liberally on that... Want to learn? Play Play PLAY.

C&C Please and Suggestions for further processing, gnubbie hits, suggestions for plugins, are all welcomed.

Views: 1,466
11-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

Photos: Albums

The only photo that does anything for me is #7. The others seem out of focus, or too much motion blur.
11-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
The only photo that does anything for me is #7. The others seem out of focus, or too much motion blur.
It is true. I was just fresh with my camera and learning how to take pictures in the dark. I was having a heck of a time with the AF on my k20d. These are my attempts to play the PP up to recover nice images.

Personally I like #4 the most.
11-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe an image has to be sharp or even in focus to be a good one. Some of these are pretty good, IMO.

Nos. 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are all good. I really like #5 and with some funky PP, I think #6 could be an album cover.

11-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Just downloaded Photoshop CS4 Extended. Hum. And some Plugins. Will be revisiting some of these, and the rest of my favorites, to play with too. (Mel, I quote you liberally on that... Want to learn? Play Play PLAY.
Lol, quote away! I think these are cool! And bravo to you for going back and revisiting them. I don't dare do that as I'd never get another thing done. Ever. I've been sitting on my hind end all day long playing with my personal copies of LR and CS4 as it is.

Nice work. Live performances are fun, however my performance shooting has been limited to plays. Keep it up!
11-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I don't believe an image has to be sharp or even in focus to be a good one. Some of these are pretty good, IMO.

Nos. 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are all good. I really like #5 and with some funky PP, I think #6 could be an album cover.

Me too! When my three sons were under the age of 6 I would use the phrase: "Its just ink on paper." to get across many different principles. Often used to get them to engage with aesthetics. If it is just ink on paper then you have more freedom to analysis and also more access to understanding how the artist did what they did; how did it work. We all found it liberating to not have to be realistic in our drawings and art projects and then found a way to get passionate about building those skills! Funny how that works.

Thanks for the kind words maxwell. Many of the Love Me Nots (the band) photos are heading into the to be further processed bin. Why just today I learned about the diagnials for cropping and just that will make many of these that much better. Later this evening I open up Photoshop CS4 The Extended Version for the first time!

Hold My Hand Pentaxian! (It is just pixels on the monitor...)

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Lol, quote away! I think these are cool! And bravo to you for going back and revisiting them. I don't dare do that as I'd never get another thing done. Ever. I've been sitting on my hind end all day long playing with my personal copies of LR and CS4 as it is.

Nice work. Live performances are fun, however my performance shooting has been limited to plays. Keep it up!
I have a skinny hind end and my chair is one made with bungee for baton! sprungy. My monitor is not calibrated. My Video card is have'n a hard time. And this is the time I have to get into the programs. Using the images I have taken to feed the passion. My camera is going to go back to its maker and get adjusted, fixed, clean and returned at the beginning of the year. Taking more pictures now to feed the fire before the camera leaves for a month at the spa. And as you say, Mel, I really can't imagine returning to many of these photos even when I get skills that would dramatically improve them. SO now is their time too.

I dig the live performances. They are such challenges. I think of some set of "assignments" and go at it. Next is to change lenses as often as I get the slightest whim. Also to pay more attention to framing. And I am going to set up a wireless flash somewhere to get some highlights in. Maybe something with a snoot to control onto just the lead singer? or with barndoors to edge them but not be seen from the audience? Have been doing vaudeville shows here in town. Need to get front row tickets at a play soon. I'm returning to school and the word got out already that I "Do Photography." (Guess the fact I almost always have it with me is a give away) and have been asked to photograph events. Hum.

Back at it! Thanks for the kind words all.
11-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nichole from The Love Me Nots

Just because she looks so good in it!