Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Lazy Butterfly
Lens: Pentax DA 55-300 PLM + 1.4X TC Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 12800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: reh321, 07-17-2021, 04:37 PM

While I spent the latter part of this afternoon weeding the garden, I noticed this back&blue butterfly fluttering around the yard, so once I was done, I grabbed my KP. Of course, by then he had settled on our black grill, and nothing I could do would persuade him to do his pollinator duties on our tomato plants nor on the various decorative flowers around the yard. He would flutter off if I got too close - but not to any of the flowers {I watched} - and then come back to the grill as soon as I sat down on the bench again. I did take about a dozen pictures; I chose this one because I felt it was the best view of his color combination and body; I would have selected any view on plant-life.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 699
07-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a Spicebush Swallowtail. Nice colors. Shows well against the black matte grill.
07-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
While I spent the latter part of this afternoon weeding the garden, I noticed this back&blue butterfly fluttering around the yard, so once I was done, I grabbed my KP. Of course, by then he had settled on our black grill, and nothing I could do would persuade him to do his pollinator duties on our tomato plants nor on the various decorative flowers around the yard. He would flutter off if I got too close - but not to any of the flowers {I watched} - and then come back to the grill as soon as I sat down on the bench again. I did take about a dozen pictures; I chose this one because I felt it was the best view of his color combination and body; I would have selected any view on plant-life.
Butterflies usually do just exactly what the photographer wants them to do; I have to ask why this particular butterfly was so obstinately uncooperative!

I once had nearly the same experience. The silly creature insisted that my black vinyl covered motorcycle seat was the best place to park. So I was forced to take a picture of a beautiful butterfly on ugly black vinyl.
Your shot does show how very pretty was the butterfly.
Angky.
07-18-2021, 04:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Looks like a Spicebush Swallowtail. Nice colors. Shows well against the black matte grill.
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Butterflies usually do just exactly what the photographer wants them to do; I have to ask why this particular butterfly was so obstinately uncooperative!

I once had nearly the same experience. The silly creature insisted that my black vinyl covered motorcycle seat was the best place to park. So I was forced to take a picture of a beautiful butterfly on ugly black vinyl.
Your shot does show how very pretty was the butterfly.
Angky.
“Thank you” to both of you for your comments.

I am glad that someone could at least give my visitor a name, because I don’t remember having ever seen one like this.

I really did so much want to photograph this one amongst the greenery in our yard - but such was not to be. My wife {yes, she is the one who grills in our family} - last cooked there two weeks ago …. brats as I recall …. so we have no idea what oder was so attractive, but something did bring it back to this spot over and over again. At least I did get a reasonable likeness to remember it by, because I expect it to be in another county by now.

07-18-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is really a beautiful specimen. I think the background is suitable. Thanks for sharing.
07-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
It is really a beautiful specimen. I think the background is suitable. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your comment.

The truth is that I always prefer seeing a butterfly sitting on a flower - but this one refused.
07-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
great shot! I would have liked the focal point more spot on the wings even them nicely done!

07-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
great shot! I would have liked the focal point more spot on the wings even them nicely done!

Yeah, I might have done a better job in some details .... but he was so 'flightly' - constantly moving and shifting.
07-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the image. There could have been much worse backgrounds. The butterfly probably thinks that flowers are overrated and it didn't want them competing with its beauty anyway.
07-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I really like the image. There could have been much worse backgrounds. The butterfly probably thinks that flowers are overrated and it didn't want them competing with its beauty anyway.

Yes, that is a way of looking at it - but they do have to "eat", and there was nothing but smells left by this time.
07-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a cool composition - very well done.

Jer
07-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a cool composition - very well done.

Jer
Thank you for the comment.

In retrospect, it turned out better than I expected {as the butterfly was ignoring my wishes}
07-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot! Love the colors and composition.
07-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A beautiful butterfly no doubt. I personally think the circular vent of the grill makes for an interesting background / composition. In cool weather butterflies are attracted to surfaces like this because they hold heat. But this time of year probably not the case here. These days it's good to see any butterflies. We've had a lot less visiting our garden this year than last.
07-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The color of those wings is really beautiful