Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A Distant Fire
Lens: D FA 28-105mm Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: North Fork American River, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 07-18-2021, 06:24 PM

Far away over the horizon a new forest fire sends up a white cloud. Not a cumulus cloud, as it appears to be, but the rising cloud of cooling ash and moisture from a very vigorous fire--somewhere down south near Lake Tahoe.
Below it, is the dense haze of settled smoke blown along for miles toward the east by the wind coming off the Pacific Ocean. The blue haze has just started to reach the very upper canyons of the American River.
That season is upon us again!
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 382
07-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing... it's distressing to see how climate change is causing the fire season to start earlier and burn ever more intensely.
07-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot.
07-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow. Impressive how you were able to tell this cloud from a regular one and guess there were a distant fire.

07-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shot that tells the story. I got similar shots a couple of years ago in the Snowy Mountains, here in Australia. It makes you think.
07-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice shot of rugged terrain. The extreme drought and fires are definite signs of climate change. Tornado alley seems to have shifted to the south eastern US also..
07-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hongman Quote
Thanks for sharing... it's distressing to see how climate change is causing the fire season to start earlier and burn ever more intensely.
Yes, agreed.
And for me, it is distressing to see sadness in images that otherwise can be so exhilarating.
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-20-21 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Nice shot.
Thank you. Glad you appreciate it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-20-21 at 07:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Wow. Impressive how you were able to tell this cloud from a regular one and guess there were a distant fire.
Thanks for being impressed!

But there is a history behind this. When I was still young and nimble, these "pyro-cumulus" clouds meant that I had some days of hard, hot, dangerous work ahead of me.
Now, I express thanks just to be able to carry my camera among the burnt rocks, and record images that I hope inspire others to respect and admire the wild lands.
And for my part, I am impressed and inspired seeing the images you folks share of nature's grandeur.
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-20-21 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Good shot that tells the story. I got similar shots a couple of years ago in the Snowy Mountains, here in Australia. It makes you think.
Yes, indeed. It does make a person reflect on what is of value.
I think you indeed must have gotten some similar shots! We were closely watching the fires you folks had to endure and fight! Even did some praying!
Angky.

---------- Post added 07-20-21 at 07:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
A nice shot of rugged terrain. The extreme drought and fires are definite signs of climate change. Tornado alley seems to have shifted to the south eastern US also..
Thanks for the compliment!
I wasn't aware that tornados are moving from Pennsylvania & Ohio down toward your direction!
A new era...
But I guess we can just keep looking up.
Angky.