Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Picture of Someone Else, Taking a Picture
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Yellowstone 
Posted By: JimS_256, 07-20-2021, 02:47 PM

At the Gibbon Falls view point in Yellowstone. This fellow wanted a closer look.
Views: 391
07-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

...with a camera with bellows. What's he got there?
07-20-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
...with a camera with bellows. What's he got there?
LOL. If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) it looks like an old Polaroid.

Last edited by JimS_256; 07-20-2021 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added a link
07-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've used those (40 years ago, and they were old then) but they use a special earlier form of the polaroid film -- operating it was similar to a legacy mechanical credit card swiper. Wonder if he's got a digital back on it or something? The other camera looks like video or medium format?

07-21-2021, 01:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographing of photographers is a special pleasure, indeed. I do this now and then, too.
07-21-2021, 01:53 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
A Picture of Someone Else, Taking a Picture
This image reminds me of this thread Photographers that perish while photographing - PentaxForums.com can't think why...
07-21-2021, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That changes from people taking selfies with smartphone. He looks to be in a dangerous spot though.

07-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kanyck Quote
Photographing of photographers is a special pleasure, indeed. I do this now and then, too.
Yes, photographers often make good subjects. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This image reminds me of this thread Photographers that perish while photographing - PentaxForums.com can't think why...
I thought that too. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
That changes from people taking selfies with smartphone. He looks to be in a dangerous spot though.
He had to climb over a wall to get there but in fairness it looked like he was being careful and not taking any chances. Thanks for commenting.
07-22-2021, 03:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote

At the Gibbon Falls view point in Yellowstone. This fellow wanted a closer look.
looks perilous
07-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
5ks
Pentaxian

Yeah, I like it too - both pro's and amateurs, even tourists. Occasionally, they may add some real content to the orgininal subject, such as a monument or cityscape.
07-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been there, done that. Things are usually only dangerous when you're careless. For kids my rule is "One body length from the edge" so if you fall, you land on solid ground. Adults tend to have better understanding of consequences. I've been that guy lot of times.

There is this thread which celebrates the idea.
People and their cameras! - Page 174 - PentaxForums.com

And this poor messed up thread I started years ago, which completely didn't work and got totally messed up, on numerous occasions and is now so messed up it's hard to even navigate. A theme that never caught on. Some never even understood the concept.
Photographer and Photo - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by normhead; 07-22-2021 at 07:14 AM.
07-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
looks perilous
Looks a little worse than it was, and as Norm said only if you're careless. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Yeah, I like it too - both pro's and amateurs, even tourists. Occasionally, they may add some real content to the orgininal subject, such as a monument or cityscape.
Totally agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Been there, done that. Things are usually only dangerous when you're careless. For kids my rule is "One body length from the edge" so if you fall, you land on solid ground. Adults tend to have better understanding of consequences. I've been that guy lot of times.
I've been that guy too but now that I'm elderly not so much. Thanks for commenting. My wife also has a fit it I get to close to the edge on any drop off. Thanks for commenting.
07-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two cameras and a tripod; must be a 'serious' photographer. Looks like something I would have done in my younger days. Wouldn't dare get that near the edge these days.
07-23-2021, 12:01 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Occasionally, they may add
A photographer's pose while he/she is looking for a right angle is often a good subject by itself. Including myself, of course))) And if you manage to get more into the frame, that's a way to get a good keeper!
07-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Two cameras and a tripod; must be a 'serious' photographer. Looks like something I would have done in my younger days. Wouldn't dare get that near the edge these days.
I don't do that anymore either. The ancient Polaroid camera was interesting. In hindsight I wish I'd asked him about it.

A photographer's pose while he/she is looking for a right angle is often a good subject by itself. Including myself, of course))) And if you manage to get more into the frame, that's a way to get a good keeper!
Thanks! I like it that the image tells a story.