Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
My Garden Spider - Take One
Lens: Irix 150mm f2.8 Dragonfly Macro Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Back Porch ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: ToddK, 07-20-2021, 04:45 PM

I have been looking for a spider to photograph for this month's photo contest with no luck, and last night as I was barbequing on my porch, I looked up and spotted this spider under the eaves of the porch. Because of low light I had to shoot this at pretty high ISO and a pretty open aperture, so I decided to attempt focus stacking free-hand to get it all in focus. This is a stack of 8 shots. I think it needed about 15-20, but it is not easy standing on a chair and trying to hold the camera still enough pointing above your head to end up with even 8 shots. The good news is the spider doesn't look like it will be going anywhere soon, and I just need to come up with a way to hold the camera steady for a good focus stack. Stay tuned...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 1,392
07-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is an excellent photo of the spider and web. Looks like you caught it at exact center. Love the detail of both. You did a great job under difficult circumstances. Will be looking for next pic. PS, did you overcook the food?
07-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I have been looking for a spider to photograph for this month's photo contest with no luck, and last night as I was barbequing on my porch, I looked up and spotted this spider under the eaves of the porch. Because of low light I had to shoot this at pretty high ISO and a pretty open aperture, so I decided to attempt focus stacking free-hand to get it all in focus. This is a stack of 8 shots. I think it needed about 15-20, but it is not easy standing on a chair and trying to hold the camera still enough pointing above your head to end up with even 8 shots. The good news is the spider doesn't look like it will be going anywhere soon, and I just need to come up with a way to hold the camera steady for a good focus stack. Stay tuned...
Wow, that is one cool pic, Todd. Amazing! My first reaction was "wonder how far down the aperture stop is on this one??" F5?? Then I saw the stacking explanation. There have been a few of those being posted recently - with equally amazing results. But hand-held, standing on a chair pointing upwards?? I take my hat off to you!
07-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a Golden Orb Weaver. Great shot

07-21-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very beautiful spider. I'll have to rummage my home then, to come up with some competition
07-21-2021, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent photograph, and a testimony to the virtues of focus-stacking, a technique that I haven't yet had a chance to explore!

Thanks for sharing!
07-21-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect, Todd. Could be in a textbook!

Jer

07-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the coolest looking spiders I've ever seen. And a great photo of it. Nice work Todd.
07-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #9
5ks
Pentaxian

Very impressive photo, shivers down my spine.
07-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That is an excellent photo of the spider and web. Looks like you caught it at exact center. Love the detail of both. You did a great job under difficult circumstances. Will be looking for next pic. PS, did you overcook the food?
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your comment! The food was fine, I had everything under control...
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Wow, that is one cool pic, Todd. Amazing! My first reaction was "wonder how far down the aperture stop is on this one??" F5?? Then I saw the stacking explanation. There have been a few of those being posted recently - with equally amazing results. But hand-held, standing on a chair pointing upwards?? I take my hat off to you!
Thanks so much K2 to K50! I am pretty happy with the result although I spent quite a bit of time reproducing web segments where the merging wiped them out.
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Looks like a Golden Orb Weaver. Great shot
Thanks EM!
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Very beautiful spider. I'll have to rummage my home then, to come up with some competition
Thanks Patrick! You never know what you might stumble into...
QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Excellent photograph, and a testimony to the virtues of focus-stacking, a technique that I haven't yet had a chance to explore!

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I like focus stacking but have never tried it in quite this fashion before.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Perfect, Todd. Could be in a textbook!

Jer
Thank you Jer!
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
One of the coolest looking spiders I've ever seen. And a great photo of it. Nice work Todd.
Thanks Dave! I really like the marking of this one.
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Very impressive photo, shivers down my spine.
Thank you!
07-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks great! Not sure why a bigger stack would be desirable. The parts of the web that are out of focus add a nice 3D effect. We had these spiders at our old house 20 miles away and 20 years ago. Never got a shot of one though. We left before I got my K10D.
07-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Looks great! Not sure why a bigger stack would be desirable. The parts of the web that are out of focus add a nice 3D effect. We had these spiders at our old house 20 miles away and 20 years ago. Never got a shot of one though. We left before I got my K10D.
Thanks Apet-Sure! The only reason for more shots would be to get some overlap to avoid out of focus areas on the spider. I ended up cloning some out of focus areas in Photoshop which doesn't always come out that good. I agree about the out of focus parts of the web and would not want any more of it in focus.
07-22-2021, 03:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice spider, and impressive performance by your Irix - I have the 15mm, maybe time to increase the collection.
07-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saley Quote
Nice spider, and impressive performance by your Irix - I have the 15mm, maybe time to increase the collection.
Thanks saley! If you like macro photography, it is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.
07-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is an amazing shot. Nicely done.