Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Jack's Hack - A B-29 Stratofortress
Camera: Panasonic LX100 Photo Location: New England Air Museum ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-21-2021, 02:44 PM

While meandering through some unprocessed shots from years past, I came across a bunch of photos taken at the New England Air Museum (near Hartford) while visiting family in CT on October 6, 2018 - shots I should have remembered, since I took them on my birthday!!

The museum is truly worth your attention if you happen to be in Hartford.

The pics here are of a B-29 Stratofortress, a plane used in the latter part of WW II and into the '50s.

I notice the white balance is off in the second shot - don't know why, 'cause it looked fine when I PP'd it - I must have messed up somewhere.

Jer

Views: 791
07-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the first photo the best. It seems to have a proper balance in lighting. Indoor pictures often give Me unexpected results. Thanks for sharing.
07-21-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. The B-29 was an impressive aircraft.
07-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well captured, Jer, and what a magnificent aircraft. Looks to be an incredible restoration job, too!

07-22-2021, 12:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series! I would love to see it in the flesh!
07-22-2021, 04:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine shots JER, one other impressive fact is that made nearly 4,000 of these in just three years, along with all the other aircraft types at the same time. Mind boggling really.
07-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great series of an awesome airplane! I don't recall having ever seen one close-up before, but I would certainly like to...

07-22-2021, 06:30 AM   #8

Neat looking plane! I just saw and photographed Bock's Car at the Udar Hazey Smithsonian complex.
07-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I like the first photo the best. It seems to have a proper balance in lighting. Indoor pictures often give Me unexpected results. Thanks for sharing.
Glad you like it, Mike.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shots. The B-29 was an impressive aircraft.
Thank you.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well captured, Jer, and what a magnificent aircraft. Looks to be an incredible restoration job, too!
Hey buddy, thanks much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
Great series! I would love to see it in the flesh!
I'm glad you like the shots; the New England Air Museum is very impressive - big enough to be entertains for a few hours but not overwhelming.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Fine shots JER, one other impressive fact is that made nearly 4,000 of these in just three years, along with all the other aircraft types at the same time. Mind boggling really.
Thanks, Kevin. Yeah, US wartime production was indeed amazing during WW II.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great series of an awesome airplane! I don't recall having ever seen one close-up before, but I would certainly like to...
Hey, Todd - thank you!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by jcshellyg Quote
Neat looking plane! I just saw and photographed Bock's Car at the Udar Hazey Smithsonian complex.
It is that. I've been to the Smithsonian a number of times; I don't specifically remember seeing Bock's Car, but I'm sure I did when I was there. I've also seen the B-29 at the US Air Force museum in Dayton a number of times.

Jer
07-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've also seen the B-29 at the US Air Force museum in Dayton a number of times.
Same here. Really impressive when you can get close. I met a guy once who had been an engine mechanic on B-29s. I can't repeat the things he said about how much 'fun' those engines were to work on.
07-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very interesting plane...

More B-29s were lost to engine fires than enemy action, IIRC. Oh, and one picky detail- it was called the Superfortress. The Stratofortress is the one we're still flying today, the BUFF, or B-52.
07-23-2021, 05:21 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Glad you like it, Mike.

It is that. I've been to the Smithsonian a number of times; I don't specifically remember seeing Bock's Car, but I'm sure I did when I was there. I've also seen the B-29 at the US Air Force museum in Dayton a number of times.

Jer
Ugh, I am an idiot. It was the Enola Gay at the Udar Hazy. Bock's Car I have seen a few years ago at the regular Air & Space.

Last edited by jcshellyg; 07-23-2021 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Took out some of the quoting.
07-23-2021, 05:31 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
More B-29s were lost to engine fires than enemy action, IIRC. Oh, and one picky detail- it was called the Superfortress. The Stratofortress is the one we're still flying today, the BUFF, or B-52.
By golly, I knew that but somehow used the term stratofortress - presumable because it's more part of my generation.

Jer

---------- Post added 07-23-2021 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcshellyg Quote
Ugh, I am an idiot. It was the Enola Gay at the Udar Hazy. Bock's Car I have seen a few years ago at the regular Air & Space.
Am an idiot, as well. I was thinking Enola Gay was at the Air Force museum! And another B-29 at the Smithsonian. I remember photographing the Bock's Car at Dayton some years ago.

Jer
07-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work Jer. I've only been to one of these and found it a little tricky to get a clean shot with so much going on. The one I went to is the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville Oregon. Howard Hughes's Spruce Goose is there. Wife and I had a great time. We should go back.
07-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nice work Jer. I've only been to one of these and found it a little tricky to get a clean shot with so much going on. The one I went to is the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville Oregon. Howard Hughes's Spruce Goose is there. Wife and I had a great time. We should go back.
Thank you kindly, Dave.

I love air museums. Should you ever find yourself in mid Ohio, take a day (and it does take a day) to visit the US Air Force Museum at Wright Field. It is truly amazing and on a scale that defies description. Nothing compares.

Jer