Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A Bumblebee Harvesting From A Pinedrops Plant
Lens: SMC Pentax-A Macro f:2.8 100mm Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: North Fork American River, CA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: angkymac, 07-22-2021, 03:21 PM

Pinedrops, ("Pterospora andromedea") I have just now learned is a mycotrophic plant--meaning that it is parasitic on the fungus that works symbiotically with the roots of pine trees.
It is a flowering plant, not a fungus. I discovered that for sure when a big bumblebee photo-bombed me and started collecting nectar from these flowers.
My apologies for a poor image of the bee; chasing a *very busy* bee that harvests upside-down (flies that way too, I think!) with a vintage (no auto-focus) 100mm macro lens in a dark forest shade is no small feat! Photographing a football game might be easier!
Anyway, it was fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Views: 229
07-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing photos of this interesting plant and researching its symbiotic relationship with pine trees.
07-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for sharing photos of this interesting plant and researching its symbiotic relationship with pine trees.
You're welcome; I enjoyed it.
Angky.
07-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Pinedrops, ("Pterospora andromedea") I have just now learned is a mycotrophic plant--meaning that it is parasitic on the fungus that works symbiotically with the roots of pine trees.
It is a flowering plant, not a fungus. I discovered that for sure when a big bumblebee photo-bombed me and started collecting nectar from these flowers.
My apologies for a poor image of the bee; chasing a *very busy* bee that harvests upside-down (flies that way too, I think!) with a vintage (no auto-focus) 100mm macro lens in a dark forest shade is no small feat! Photographing a football game might be easier!
Anyway, it was fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Angky.
interesting and informative images in any case

07-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
interesting and informative images in any case
Thanks for the note. Glad you found them interesting; they are strange-looking so not everybody is intrigued with them.
Angky.
07-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think they are a very interesting plant and you did a terrific job photographing them. The colors, lighting and details of the flowers in the last two images are very impressive.
07-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I think they are a very interesting plant and you did a terrific job photographing them. The colors, lighting and details of the flowers in the last two images are very impressive.
Thanks for the encouraging notes! I have to admit that I thought it was a fail for quite a while.
Angky.