Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Los Angeles Morning
Lens: HD 77mm Limited Camera: K1 Photo Location: Los Angeles ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/3200s Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: bad2thegnome, 07-22-2021, 10:48 PM

Here is my favorite portrait to date! Went with a bit of a vintage aesthetic with the edit. Thank you for any feedback or conversation!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 481
07-23-2021, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great portrait!
07-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
Great portrait!
Thank you! Means a lot to me that other photographers like some of my work!
07-23-2021, 02:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, you requested feedback and here it is. Looking at her lovely face I would certainly remove the heavy, dark make up under her eyes. They do detract from her beauty. Next, the pink pom poms gotta go. As in your last portrait of this young lady, please do not be apprehensive in increasing the exposure even by experimenting. If the K-1 has ISO 125, give it a try and see how it works. Additionally, go with a top/blouse that is one solid color with no images or graphics to pull the viewers eyes away. I would crop from left to right to remove the red building and then from right to left to remove the tree as these are distractions that do not enhance the portrait in any way. The shoulder bag I would have asked her to set it down for the shoot. As in your last work with this
subject, it would immensely improve her overall appearance if she were to allow her hair to just fall naturally over her shoulders without the bands. One thought I keep in mind when doing portraits
Is: "What would a professional leave in the portrait?" One more thing; See how it would fit to have her part her hair down the middle and brushed to the sides. I mean bangs are okay, but for her, not very flattering. Once again, quite an improvement over the first portrait of yours that I commented on. Another damn fine effort. Never get discouraged, you are doing fine and you are on your way to becoming a very good portrait photographer. Best regards, Tonytee )

07-23-2021, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback. First, I like the shot. She is a very pretty young lady. But I would not frame her portrait in this way. Too much irrelevant background in my opinion. Looking at the portrait component itself, she has a delightful, cheeky slight smile and slightly messy hair to go with it. I wouldn't try to make her portrait too "formal" because I don't think that would be her personality. The pink pompoms are OK if you stay with the informal approach. But her tee shirt doesn't add anything to the shot. Something plain might work better. Hang in there with your work. As you will see, there are lots of opinions about what works best.
07-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Theres a touch of sadness to her face that makes this portrait interesting. I'd lighten it maybe 1/3 to 2/3 stops - blow out the background more if you want to. She has a bit of an "anime" look to her.
Btw having her lean back on the elbows has twisted her t-shirt around the neckline. An adjustment there would have helped, to get the scrunch out. The eyes on the t-shirt don't echo her eye makeup, perhaps a plain shirt or less under-the-eye makeup. The palm tree gives it a nice LA vibe. That brown building on the left, not so much.
Overall, I like the photo. She looks fun - the ragged hair and pompoms add that,and yet there's sadness in those eyes and the mysterious smile.
Nice work. Your stuff gets better all the time. And I am lousy with portraits, probably because I take too long to "perfect" everything... so ignore me;-)
07-23-2021, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Nice match with models makeup, clothing and aesthetic!

07-25-2021, 12:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I am not the only one to see some sadness in this young lady. It is not only in the eyes, but even in the shape of the smile - it seems to me to be an "OK, I'll try" kind of smile.
07-25-2021, 02:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They wrote a lot to YOU, but mostly about what needs to be changed in the model in order to get a classic portrait. I believe that your model is in the role and nothing needs to be changed. But this does not mean that there are no errors in the picture. First of all, the composition. A centered shot is not always a good idea. And objects in the background shouldn't be distracting. You are fine with this, but the dark gray triangle of the parapet catches the eye. Secondly, I don't like the way the hands are chopped off. I had to either leave a little more, or cut it higher. The second option is preferable as it enlarges the face.