Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Narrow Gauge
Posted By: reh321, 07-26-2021, 10:37 AM

In North America - in fact for most of the world - standard railroad track has 4' 8-1/2" gauge {the inner distance between the two rails}. According to legend, this is because British wagons were of that width because they fit in ruts in Roman roads.

In some cases, US railroads are built to a narrower gauge {for example, plantation locomotives .... the locomotive originally used on Hawaiian plantations was built with 3' gauge}
Hawaiian Steam Locomotive in Connecticut - PentaxForums.com

The East Broad Top tracks - which were originally built to haul coal through the mountains of Pennsylvania - were also built to 3' gauge. After it was no longer needed to haul coal, the EBT was sold for scrap - but the new owner decided it actually had value carrying tourists. I took this picture in 1986. A few years later it was shut down .... as far as I know, docents still give occasional tours through their extensive shops, but no one has gotten around to finishing the job of scrapping it.

Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 07-26-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Views: 731
07-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In North America - in fact for most of the world - standard railroad track has 4' 8-1/2" gauge {the inner distance between the two rails}. According to legend, this is because British wagons were of that width because they fit in ruts in Roman roads.

In some cases, US railroads are built to a narrower gauge {for example, plantation locomotives .... the locomotive originally used on Hawaiian plantations was built with 3' gauge}

The East Broad Top tracks - which were originally built to haul coal through the mountains of Pennsylvania - were also built to 3' gauge. After it was no longer needed to haul coal, the EBT was sold for scrap - but the new owner decided it actually had value carrying tourists. I took this picture in 1986. A few years later it was shut down .... as far as I know, docents still give occasional tours through their extensive shops, but no one has gotten around to finishing the job of scrapping it.
Beautiful train, nice shot

07-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice image, The White Pas and Yukon Route - Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway Alaska - is also Narrow Gauge. I have a few images if you'd like tom see them I'll post them.
Yes, it is narrow-gauge, although I'm not certain if they use any steam any more. They are helped by the fact that cruise ships regularly deliver potential passengers to them, passengers with very little else to do, And, yes, I'm always interested in your images.
11-23-2023, 05:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Excellent. Looks like the East Broad Top railway. Thanks for sharing!