Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Washington DC in Black and White
Posted By: mel, 11-30-2008, 07:25 AM

I went in to DC on Friday and did some shooting (WITH A CAMERA!!!). The architecture there is fairly monochromatic and I found I liked the shots better in black and white, and really, there wasn't much loss of color in the conversion, it just seemed richer to me. So here's a few. I'm an old darkroom junkie so I quite like bw conversions. However, I'm feeling rather slumpy creatively speaking. Maybe it's the time of year. Comments welcome. Maybe it will help me de-slump.

These were all shot with either a Helios 58 or a Cosina 28. Thanks for looking.

Union Station

This is actually my husband. He kept wandering in front of my camera so this time I made use of him.

Last edited by mel; 11-30-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Views: 3,492
11-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi Mel,
Nice series. They all work for me! I must do black & white.

Peter

11-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
JMR
Veteran Member

Perhaps street or city shooting is your forte. These are pretty good. When I feel I am in a slump I just start playing with images or go to the art gallery and look at peoples art. Helps.

JMR
11-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I like the first two shots the best

Patterns is usually the most effective composition technique to perfect as it is often a powerful tool to create good images.

Great post!
12-01-2008, 03:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great series Mel. The B&W works. Love the first two images.

12-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you!!

Sorry I'm not acknowledging individually this time. I kinda got behind.

Thank you all for the kind words of support and encouragement. Marc - guestbook signed!

I would love to go back in to DC and play around some more with the shapes, patterns, and textures, when I'm not with a non-camera person. I always feel all kinds of guilt when I'm the only one playing cameras as I feel like I'm boring the other people and holding things up, so this venture was a quick shoot shoot shoot. It would be novel to actually take the time to play more creatively.

Thanks again everyone. This forum is great for making me feel good about myself!
12-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Hey Mel. Nice shots. I particularly like the first 2. Nice lines and perspective.

Sounds like we need to plan a shooting field-day to DC. Maybe we could get the rest of the "National Capitol Area Pentaxians" together and mob the mall with Pentaxes.

On a related note. I am certifiably insane and plan to go downtown on Inauguration Day (Tuesday, Jan 20) to shoot the crowds (with a camera). Interested? It is going to be a mob scene and will be a bear getting in and out of town but I think it will be an opportunity not to miss.
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #22
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Hey Mel. Nice shots. I particularly like the first 2. Nice lines and perspective.

Sounds like we need to plan a shooting field-day to DC. Maybe we could get the rest of the "National Capitol Area Pentaxians" together and mob the mall with Pentaxes.

On a related note. I am certifiably insane and plan to go downtown on Inauguration Day (Tuesday, Jan 20) to shoot the crowds (with a camera). Interested? It is going to be a mob scene and will be a bear getting in and out of town but I think it will be an opportunity not to miss.
OMG I'm dying to go! My husband and briefly discussed it and he wants to steer clear for the very reasons I want to go (crowds). This will be historic and I would love to be there to capture it.

(and thanks!)

12-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
OMG I'm dying to go! My husband and briefly discussed it and he wants to steer clear for the very reasons I want to go (crowds). This will be historic and I would love to be there to capture it.

(and thanks!)
Well, we will just have to talk about it then... I'll work on something to post about the possibility.

p.s. good to see you didn't get arrested at Union Station. I think the guards have finally gotten the message.
12-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, we will just have to talk about it then... I'll work on something to post about the possibility.

p.s. good to see you didn't get arrested at Union Station. I think the guards have finally gotten the message.
We went to the newly re-opened American History Museum and some busybody elderly lady informed me that she heard outside that the guards would take the cameras of anyone taking pictures inside and she believed the word they used was confiscate. Hello. I told her the guard at the entrance went all through my bag and saw my camera and I'm sure that if there was a problem I would have been informed at that point. However, she instisted I was not allowed to take pictures. So I turned and walked off. I think she was just annoyed because I spent too long in a spot she wanted to occupy. There were signs on the case holding the Gettysburg Address stating no photography so I'm quite certain she was full of it.
12-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The old lady was WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL... Gotta say you were nicer about it than I would have been. I'd have had to told her to "go get a guard." There is NO general prohibition on photography in any of the Smithsonian buildings.

from the Smithsonian's own website...

QuoteQuote:
Photography
Still and video photography is permitted for noncommercial use only. Unless otherwise posted, generally, photography is permitted in the permanent collection, but is prohibited in most special, temporary exhibitions. Tripods are not permitted inside the museum building unless permission is granted by the museum's Public Affairs Office. Exceptions may occur in any exhibition or buildings; please inquire at the museum's information desk.
The only exceptions are restrictions on FLASH photography of certain objects which are sensitive to light. You could take a "non-flash" photo of the Gettysburg Address if you wanted to though you might want to explain what you want to do to a guard or docent.

As stated the only other "no-no" is tripods. They WILL let you carry them into most of the buildings, but tell you not to use them. They will not even let you carry them into the National Gallery of Art or the Hirshhorn. You have to check them in the Coat Check area. Once inside though you can take all the photos you like.
12-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #26
Pentaxian

As stated the only other "no-no" is tripods. They WILL let you carry them into most of the buildings, but tell you not to use them. They will not even let you carry them into the National Gallery of Art or the Hirshhorn. You have to check them in the Coat Check area. Once inside though you can take all the photos you like.
What about monopods? I sure get good use out of mine, and it'd be nice to know (if I ever get a work trip to DC again that'll let me out in time to see the museums before closing...)

Oh, and those are great pics, Mel - all of 'em. Having your hubby in that "corridor" makes that one seem much more alive.

Jim
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
What about monopods? I sure get good use out of mine, and it'd be nice to know (if I ever get a work trip to DC again that'll let me out in time to see the museums before closing...)

Oh, and those are great pics, Mel - all of 'em. Having your hubby in that "corridor" makes that one seem much more alive.

Jim
Not sure about monopods Jim. I was expecting to do some long exposures on the mall when I went down last so took the tripod instead. I'll see if I can find out.
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

You and Mel are both crazy. :ugh: I work in Old Towne Alexandria and I have already discussed with my director the fact that I will either telecommute on the 20th, or take a day of leave. There is no way that I will be anywhere near those crowds.
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #29
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You and Mel are both crazy. :ugh: I work in Old Towne Alexandria and I have already discussed with my director the fact that I will either telecommute on the 20th, or take a day of leave. There is no way that I will be anywhere near those crowds.
My husband works in DC two blocks from the capitol building (fed employee) and said they're expecting over 4 million to that particular event and his parking spot under his building will not be available for his use (free day off I'm guessing). Obviously mass transit will be the way to go in.

(and thanks Jim!)
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
My husband works in DC two blocks from the capitol building (fed employee) and said they're expecting over 4 million to that particular event and his parking spot under his building will not be available for his use (free day off I'm guessing). Obviously mass transit will be the way to go in.

(and thanks Jim!)
OPM already has it on their website (see the note at the bottom). That day is a Federal Holiday for government employees working in DC and in most of the surrounding countys. They have not announced what us slimy federal contractors are supposed to do. If we don't get it off I will take a vacation day.