Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
two-foot track in Maine
Posted By: reh321, 07-28-2021, 10:08 AM

I showed three-foot gauge trains in
Narrow Gauge - PentaxForums.com
Hawaiian Steam Locomotive in Connecticut - PentaxForums.com
There are actually two-foot gauge trains. They were originally imported from the UK country of Wales, then used in Massachusetts and Maine.
Today, there are four {to my knowledge} tourist operations in Maine and one in Massachusetts.
The operation in Massachusetts is very much a professional operation, and has shrunk as their land has become more valuable,
but the Maine operations seem to be expanding. When we lived in Massachusetts, I joined the track crew helping to rebuild a portion of the WW&F.
Here are three pictures I took in 2010 when my wife and I rode the train.
The second photo shows them adding water at a typical Maine water tank {built recently by local volunteers}, which is enclosed as protection from Winter weather.
At the reversing point, the engineer went through the coach and invited the "older gentleman" {me!} to join him in the locomotive {he had not been working the days I volunteered}

Attached Images

Views: 351
07-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. These little old locomotives are great to see. We have a similar one in Victoria (Australia, that is) but it is a 2 foot 6 inch track.
07-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shots. These little old locomotives are great to see. We have a similar one in Victoria (Australia, that is) but it is a 2 foot 6 inch track.
Thank you for your comment.

Actually, the historic WW&F had nine locomotives, numbered #1 through #9. #9 was found in a barn {I think in Connecticut}, but of course needed major work, since the last time it was used was just before the Depression. However, Edaville {the 2-foot tourist railroad in Massachusetts} was willing to part with a locomotive for cash; this particular locomotive had worked on a Louisiana plantation with 2-1/2 foot track [2foot, 6in track}, so the shop people at Edaville had already converted it to 2-foot gauge - this locomotive became the WW&F's #10, and kept the fledgling tourist line going until #9 was ready to work again. #9 was ready to take on its responsibilities about the time we moved here to Indiana, and we haven't had the time to go there since then.