Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Wallaroo
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 07-31-2021, 05:17 AM

I went to a spot in the southern hills of the Australian Capital Territory in search of Robins, but I didn't find any. However, I did find something else completely by accident - several Wallaroos. I have been looking for this species of marsupial for a while now, having recently found out that they're nearby. I've seen lots of Grey Kangaroos and Red-necked Wallabies, but the only animal I could think of that might have been a Wallaroo was something I saw over the range one afternoon that looked like a Wallaby on steroids (guess what - the name of the species is Macropus robustus). Today I confirmed it, and this is a male one.

Wallaroo
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 309
07-31-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the play of sunlight.
07-31-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I like the play of sunlight.
Thanks! It was the last light of the afternoon.
07-31-2021, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, your search did not come up empty. Nice catch and capture. Does look to be a big guy.

07-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Well, your search did not come up empty. Nice catch and capture. Does look to be a big guy.
Thanks! He's not huge, but with those muscles I wouldn't want to get into an argument with him!
07-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I went to a spot in the southern hills of the Australian Capital Territory in search of Robins, but I didn't find any. However, I did find something else completely by accident - several Wallaroos. I have been looking for this species of marsupial for a while now, having recently found out that they're nearby. I've seen lots of Grey Kangaroos and Red-necked Wallabies, but the only animal I could think of that might have been a Wallaroo was something I saw over the range one afternoon that looked like a Wallaby on steroids (guess what - the name of the species is Macropus robustus). Today I confirmed it, and this is a male one.

That is very cool, Rob. What would he be - 4ft - 5ft high? His upper arm certainly looks thicker than that of the gray kangaroos. Certainly a stocky little fellow, nice fur colour.
07-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
5ks
Pentaxian

Very nice wallaroo and photo. I wonder what he's thinking of - seeing you and your camera pointing at him?

07-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
That is very cool, Rob. What would he be - 4ft - 5ft high? His upper arm certainly looks thicker than that of the gray kangaroos. Certainly a stocky little fellow, nice fur colour.
Not quite that tall, but very "robust". When I saw one near Wee Jasper, I thought it was an overgrown Swamp Wallaby (Wallabia bicolor) on steroids.

---------- Post added 01-08-21 at 07:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Very nice wallaroo and photo. I wonder what he's thinking of - seeing you and your camera pointing at him?
Thanks! Considering the farm setting and the size of the DFA 150-450, probably "is that a gun?".
07-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very impressive animal. Nice of you to share.
07-31-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Very impressive animal. Nice of you to share.
Thank you! I also learned that the males have dark fur while the females are light grey.
07-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Huge fore-arms, and he has boxing gloves on!
Good shot!
Angky.
08-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A Hobbit with hidden Hairy Feet !!
08-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Huge fore-arms, and he has boxing gloves on!
Good shot!
Thanks! I hadn't noticed how it looks like he has gloves on!

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
A Hobbit with hidden Hairy Feet !!
True, all Kangaroos and Wallabies have hairy feet and the family is Macropods - "big feet".
08-01-2021, 05:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent capture Rob. The lighting is really nice to highlight the big fellow. Australia never ceases to amaze me with the diversity of unique wildlife and birds.
08-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent capture Rob. The lighting is really nice to highlight the big fellow. Australia never ceases to amaze me with the diversity of unique wildlife and birds.
Thanks Todd! Me too! I had no idea until a few days ago that there were Wallaroos in the local area. The females look a lot like small Grey Kangaroos, and the males look a bit like Swamp Wallabies, so I've probably seen them before and not noticed the differences in the shape of the head.
I hope soon to visit a bird sanctuary out in the desert to see new bird species and to visit Western Australia which has even more endemic species.
At the moment though, covid is making travel between states difficult.