Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Posing Crane
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM

When I was takin the fall pics I already posted this crane flew in... These are crops because I only had my 100 lens with me... so I hope you like them!!

One more of just the water...

Thanks!! Kim
Views: 2,509
11-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kim, the scenery you have around you is awesome. Oh, and btw, that is a Great Blue Heron in your photos.
11-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Too bad you only had you 100 with you. Great Blue Herons are known to be quite shy. I've seen a lot of them in my day but have never really been within 50 meters of one because they always fly off before I see it, since they are always perched so silently and still. You're lucky that this one just happened to land near you!

Beautiful area you were in. Reminds me of the mountains of Virginia.
11-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I can almost hear the water rushing... the heron makes these shots something special.

11-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kim, very nicely done and I would agree with the others. This Crane is really hard to get close to. I really like the first photo, with out without the brd, its a great image. JIMBO
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Kim, the scenery you have around you is awesome. Oh, and btw, that is a Great Blue Heron in your photos.
Thanks LaRee.. I do love this time of year!! I am blessed to live in a beautiful place... I may have to go out and try to get another shot of the Heron with my 200!!.. Just what I need an excuse to take pics!!! LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Too bad you only had you 100 with you. Great Blue Herons are known to be quite shy. I've seen a lot of them in my day but have never really been within 50 meters of one because they always fly off before I see it, since they are always perched so silently and still. You're lucky that this one just happened to land near you!

Beautiful area you were in. Reminds me of the mountains of Virginia.
Yeah, he was a big skiddish for sure.. but I was about 20-30 yards from him... I can usually get within that range.. Glad you enjoyed the shots!!

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I can almost hear the water rushing... the heron makes these shots something special.
Thanks Hamid.... It was a nice evening and I was lucky to catch the sun the way I did.. the Heron was a bonus! Glad you liked them... Happy Holidays!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Kim, very nicely done and I would agree with the others. This Crane is really hard to get close to. I really like the first photo, with out without the brd, its a great image. JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo!!!! I have tried to get crane pictures in the past and these are crops but atleast they turned out.. !!!! I just have to try again!! Darn it anyway!! LOL

Thanks everyone!! Happy Holidays.. Kim
11-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

kim, you are definitely making me miss the scenery...

if you want crane shots, go to Grays Lake Refuge in the east part of the state, not far from soda springs area.

the marsh there is a major sandhill crane nesting area, grouping in the thousands... they did a Whooping Crane foster program there in the late '80s, but it wasnt very successful. we saw five or six whoopers there.

11-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

These scenery are truely breath taking in deed. Soooo beautiful.
11-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats a very nice spot Kim, it looks like a great place to think I like the second one- it would make a nice print
11-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Damn Brit

We finally have Kim giving us some GBH.
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots Kim, really beautiful scenery.
Have you been taking a Sabbatical lately, it seems haven't seen any of your shots for a while.
Or is it just me not paying attention
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice shots Kim! and welcome back, haven't seen you around for awhile... :-)

Jim
12-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
jeffkpotter

Sooo...Beautiful! Thanks for letting us all see this.