Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Mealtime for a Great Blue Heron
Lens: 300*+1.4 TC Camera: K3llI Photo Location: Airdrie, Alberta ISO: 1600 Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 08-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Just waiting and watching...

All done and happy for now

Commenys are always welcome and appreciated
Views: 582
08-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice series. I love the second one where its head is underwater but you can see the water drops from him dunking. Herons are such interesting subjects.
08-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent series of photos. Captured all steps in the process. Light is pleasing in all photos and detail is very good. Thanks for sharing.
08-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two things I wish:
1. I wish I could catch fish as well as that heron! (He stole my catch!!!)
2. I wish I could stay patient enough, and control my camera well enough, to catch a swift series as well as you did! (The K3 iii did some of it for you, but you ran it wonderfully.)
Can't help but envy both you and that bird!
Angky.

08-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Very nice series. I love the second one where its head is underwater but you can see the water drops from him dunking. Herons are such interesting subjects.
Thank you for the kind comments and yes, it's a very entertaining bird.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Excellent series of photos. Captured all steps in the process. Light is pleasing in all photos and detail is very good. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you kindly and you are welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Two things I wish:
1. I wish I could catch fish as well as that heron! (He stole my catch!!!)
2. I wish I could stay patient enough, and control my camera well enough, to catch a swift series as well as you did! (The K3 iii did some of it for you, but you ran it wonderfully.)
Can't help but envy both you and that bird!
Angky.
Thank you for the kind comments, patience comes with old age and at 89 I do qualify, As for camera control, I have about 74 years of apprentice ship and now once in a while I do get it right.
08-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots that really tell a story, Heinrich. A few years ago, I photographed a heron (I forget which variety) swallowing a crawdad - a feat that looked physically impossible. Your subject's behavior is even more unbelievable!

Jer
08-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wonderful photo series.

Back in the old film days, I also photographed a Heron....and just as he was turning the fish around and going to swallow it....my camera (Pentax ES ll) reached the end of it's 36 picture, film roll. It wouldn't wind anymore and I had the 'satisfaction' of having to watch the heron swallow the fish, without me being able to get any photographic documentation.

Drat !

I do prefer digital SLR's over my old film cameras, for a number of reasons.

08-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exceptional Wildlife Series Sir. My Word!! The Image Quality is beyond description. Thanks very much for the awesome treat.

Tony
08-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shots that really tell a story, Heinrich. A few years ago, I photographed a heron (I forget which variety) swallowing a crawdad - a feat that looked physically impossible. Your subject's behavior is even more unbelievable!

Jer
Hi Jer and thanks again, it is downright amazing what some critters are able to feed on.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wonderful photo series.

Back in the old film days, I also photographed a Heron....and just as he was turning the fish around and going to swallow it....my camera (Pentax ES ll) reached the end of it's 36 picture, film roll. It wouldn't wind anymore and I had the 'satisfaction' of having to watch the heron swallow the fish, without me being able to get any photographic documentation.

Drat !

I do prefer digital SLR's over my old film cameras, for a number of reasons.
Thank you and yes the end of a film did me in more than once,

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Exceptional Wildlife Series Sir. My Word!! The Image Quality is beyond description. Thanks very much for the awesome treat.

Tony
Thank you for the kind words Tony, it is appreciated.