Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
50mm naked and with converter
Posted By: metroeloise, 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM

All of these are with my 50mm f/1.4. Looking for that "Why I love my 50mm shoot."

Also playing with PP more. Still in LR but now with my own Presets! Yep. Getting a style!

C&C Please!

Thanks!
Views: 1,402
11-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You are certainly so creative with careful composition and playing with depth of field style quite a bit. Close focus with a long throw of background is usually desired by most of us with floral or dew pic (well, whatelse can we do not to throw the background out of focus anyway)

The only image that really proves my dislike of this lens is the purple fringing along the silouette of your leaves in the 6th shot. The fact that you bump up the contrast and saturation making the CA even more prominent, hence my main dislike of this lens. Though you use this focal length very well in deed
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thoughts on the 50mm And Questions

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You are certainly so creative with careful composition and playing with depth of field style quite a bit. Close focus with a long throw of background is usually desired by most of us with floral or dew pic (well, whatelse can we do not to throw the background out of focus anyway)

The only image that really proves my dislike of this lens is the purple fringing along the silouette of your leaves in the 6th shot. The fact that you bump up the contrast and saturation making the CA even more prominent, hence my main dislike of this lens. Though you use this focal length very well in deed
Diggin on the DOF play with the close focus/marco converter on the lens. Just rocking, more like breathing, back and forth to focus... Same at any f/stop. Got one I'll post where I was breathing in and out to get the back leaves of the flower, strongly back lit, in focus. Fun. So Zen.

In defense of the 50 for that shot:
I shot that into the sun using the onboard flash. That is pretty harsh. So I am curious about your critique of the lens. Just out to learn.

Here is the original straight out of camera and one with minimal PP. I don't know how to correct for this in PP yet.

And last one is of the flower I mentioned.

Thanks for the insight.
11-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love #9, its so artistic.

11-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Banned

#9 is definitely gorgeous. very well done.
11-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
I love #9, its so artistic.
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
#9 is definitely gorgeous. very well done.
Thanks.

How's this one?

11-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Igilligan

#9 is definately the art shot... very nice.

But I love the simple beauty of this shot...

11-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There are several ways to deal with Purple CA in general.

Pentax users usually end up having rich experience dealing with CA. Sometimes the CA can be too broad and graduated to really rid off.

If you shoot in raw format, photoshop ACR will have a section to correct CA with a bar. You will find it in there.

Otherwise open up the image in photoshop and go to image-replace colour. In the dialog box, select on the area of fringeing with the arrow and increase tolerance level up to 120% or so. You could either desaturate or pick a white colour since the sky is white.

Eitherwise, you could use colour channel to desaturate a certain area and this is really not a method if you got a beautiful blue sky or ocean in the background.

Another hazardous method is to use use cloning method with the image zooming in 500%. You could clone out the purple bits and that method would kill your desire to continue in photography in the future... Unless the image is worth saving for.

Another method is to duplicate the image with filter - select edges. Add a new layer in channel following by mapping it onto the original image. That way, overlay hard light with black fill-in layer to over write the blues. This method works well for me but it changes the overal rendering characteristics of lens with another type of feel. I do this when the image is really stuffed up...
11-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

ok #9, mind sharing how you got that? that is really some kind of special
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Neat series, #9 for me as well. I also like #1 in a trippy kind of way.
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

9 is tops!

c[_]
12-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

#9 is a fantastic image.
12-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just goes to show a 50 is all good in the bag and to use

cheers
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
There are several ways to deal with Purple CA in general.

Pentax users usually end up having rich experience dealing with CA. Sometimes the CA can be too broad and graduated to really rid off.

If you shoot in raw format, photoshop ACR will have a section to correct CA with a bar. You will find it in there.

Otherwise open up the image in photoshop and go to image-replace colour. In the dialog box, select on the area of fringeing with the arrow and increase tolerance level up to 120% or so. You could either desaturate or pick a white colour since the sky is white.

Eitherwise, you could use colour channel to desaturate a certain area and this is really not a method if you got a beautiful blue sky or ocean in the background.

Another hazardous method is to use use cloning method with the image zooming in 500%. You could clone out the purple bits and that method would kill your desire to continue in photography in the future... Unless the image is worth saving for.

Another method is to duplicate the image with filter - select edges. Add a new layer in channel following by mapping it onto the original image. That way, overlay hard light with black fill-in layer to over write the blues. This method works well for me but it changes the overal rendering characteristics of lens with another type of feel. I do this when the image is really stuffed up...
Thanks for the pointers. Will keep alert and learn how to deal. Mostly don't shoot into the sum/super high contrasr and learn my lenses. Prevention and all.

Must say: I don't like this "Pentaxians have to get use to it" stuff. Less with with the other guys?

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
ok #9, mind sharing how you got that? that is really some kind of special

Split toning. that is it really. I look for some washed out areas and cool subtle contrast lines in the original, then try. Will post a more complete work up. Every one I have tried, and posted here, has gotten mentioned. Interesting to have read that it really is only a b&w conversion thing... Just goes to show....

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Neat series, #9 for me as well. I also like #1 in a trippy kind of way.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
9 is tops!

c[_]
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
#9 is a fantastic image.
Thanks!