Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Water melon freak show (4 IMG)
Posted By: roentarre, 11-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Frank Barrasi is one of the local Melbourne artist that performed in local Fringe festival as well as performing abroad incuding Europe and Asia.

He only lives several streets away from me! I had the opportunity to witness his freak show which truely frightened me a little.

He spent most of the time, screaming into the sky like a wolf howling. It was definitely freaky.

There were a few very concerned deaf elderly ladies without hearing aids turning their heads towards us as they probably sensed the vibrations on the floor.

The shots are not properly staged but I felt like documenting local culture in my home turf.

k20d + fa 43 ltd

fa 77 ltd

fa 43 ltd

fa 77 ltd

The truth about any artist performing is that they do not wait for you. I have a blast shooting the brief performance but most of my shots do not meet the required standard.

I found the last shot interesting as it revealed the kind of feeling I had at the time. I was wondering whether the red bits were his blood or the water melon flesh...
Views: 2,371
11-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just out in the backyard, painted purple, howling and smashing watermelons on his head!

Did he eat it?

Did he get all calm and ..."how ya doin Matt? and the Wife?"

Call it art and get away with anything.

Like the first one too. Also that without much time you were changing lenses!
WAY:
11-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, art is about self expression. Believe it or not. I used to be a fanatic critic of performance art unless it is like the dancing I see "you think you can dance" on US cables.

Well, you sum it up well. Still, it is something to do in this terrible melbourne weather. That brief sun only lasted 20 minutes or so. It followed by some storm ...
11-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The B&W shot is truly primal. Owwwwooooo!!!!

Steve

11-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots...does he do that with coconuts too?
11-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The B&W shot is truly primal. Owwwwooooo!!!!

Steve
In fact, I sort of only prefer that black and white shot. I should have deleted the other 3 as well

Thank you for that comment. I feel that stongly primal now too

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Nice shots...does he do that with coconuts too?
If he does that with coconuts, he could start thinking about a career in painting. Surely it would be quite disorienting and abstract secondary to a plausible intracranial hemorrhage...
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Man it takes all kinds - I am truly amazed at the ingenuity of folks - nice shots of a rather unorthodox performer (and I have seen Blue Man Group)

11-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #8

HAHA I love the B&W shot! It's such a 'Hulk Hogan' moment... like the guy just ripped his skin/shirt off or something.

Awesome.
11-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

roentarre,
Great shots. Very interesting. I really like shot 2! I would not want to mess with the man though?

Great post, thanks.

Peter
11-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Crazy series, one thing I like about this kind of arftist is you can tell what they are thinking when they perform.
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Man it takes all kinds - I am truly amazed at the ingenuity of folks - nice shots of a rather unorthodox performer (and I have seen Blue Man Group)

Hehe

You have been rather gentle and nice about it. What is Blue man Group? On u tube?
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
HAHA I love the B&W shot! It's such a 'Hulk Hogan' moment... like the guy just ripped his skin/shirt off or something.

Awesome.
I was quite worried for a second as Fa 77 ltd could not lock its focus on the face. I had to do it via manual focus in the end.

Glad that at least one shot works out

QuoteOriginally posted by hooppjs Quote
roentarre,
Great shots. Very interesting. I really like shot 2! I would not want to mess with the man though?

Great post, thanks.

Peter
That did not come to my mind at all. Stay away as far away as possible after the shots are finished...
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Crazy series, one thing I like about this kind of arftist is you can tell what they are thinking when they perform.
Keep it simple and effective? I know what you mean, Gary

Thanks for looking
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
jeffkpotter

Those are pretty artsy and intense James. In the first one he looks like a living painting.
I love them all and they work so well as a set. Magic!
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hehe

You have been rather gentle and nice about it. What is Blue man Group? On u tube?
Yes James there are several videos on You Tube about the Blue Man group. We saw the show in Vegas a couple of years ago - did not know what to expect but we really enjoyed the show - very entertaining.