Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Formula Student Spain 2021
Camera: Pentax K3-II and K3 Photo Location: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona 
Posted By: red5isalive, 08-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Hello again and welcome back to another topic about motorsport.

This time it is about Formula Student Spain.

And What is Formula Student Spain? Well, basically universities around the glove create innovation using small "racing" vehicles no matter if using combustion engines or electric engines and they develope their cars and participate in events in the glove. In this case, the Spanish event takes part at Circuit de Catalunya, 20kms away from Barcelona.

Those Universities and their students travel to the Circuit of destination and spend a week there, going through many different challenges such as acceleration, braking, endurance, emisions, etc.... and the teams that are brave enough to dare, they can challenge themselves even more by developing software for their vehicles to self-drive around a track limited by cones.

What is fun about it is not only that is technologicaly a challenge, but also that those young kids (around their early 20s) they travel, stay together and meet new people they make friends, socialize, some years they even party together..... well you know, all those things.

This year that I know there has been teams coming from all over Spain, from Sweden, Slovenja, Italy, Portugal, Romania, and I might miss some more.

I took part of it for the last 2 days of this year's event helping the organizers with imaginery.

And here are some images I took from those 2 days.

The organizers divide the 4,6kms long racetrack in small sub/circuits in order to be able to not only have participants in different areas at the same time doing different activities but also to be able to be more time efficient,

As for the Covid situation this year everyone joining had to spend all days inside the Circuit and the organizers just created a Camping Area where supposedly there where different bubbles and they could not join each other's. Also every participant had to have the Full Vaccination or pass a Covid-19 Test prior being able to join the event.

Images where taking using only a Pentax K3-II + Pentax K3 and as lenses the Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

So let's share some imaginery

Those ones are from Saturday and it was a very warm day with temperatures at around 30 degrees Celsius

As you can see those vehicles are quite small, and their tyres also are small. In fact they use rims from 10 inches up to 13 inches only (that is the size of what a Mini used to use back in the 1960s!)

Day 2 was a bit more grey but also warm, and was the final day. Teams had to race a 10 laps "endurance" race and it goes like this: First driver (from each team) gets on track, does the 10 laps, comes to the "pits" area, switches driver to the 2nd driver and competes another 10 laps. Then the one that does the better times wins. But, every cone touched is a time penalty of 2 seconds to be added as a penalty. So drivers have to be smooth !

That was a bad-ass car, yet they did not made it to the final.

That guy was quite fast but all of a sudden stopped and the marshals where all over trying to help out (here in blue)

Some say Batman joined the event

That guy liked to slide the car

Those guys won the overall trophy but also 4 or 5 categories by their own

The overall winners here, University of Valencia

Once the competition ended up there was time to switch cars, take pictures with other teams and so on like this girl from Malaga (Spain) and her team did with a Team from Italy and, I have to picture her for obvious reasons

Those guys from Sweden asked me if I could take some picture of them here, so of course I did

Let me add also some images where girls/women where the ones in charge, like this one the only one female driver for this year

There was quite a few women involved in the event as volunteers, like the green flagger

This is the same one that was in the cockpit of the yellow car before

And this other volunteer as an example,

And about the autonomous driving let me add one image of it

Then we did an event photo but it took us far too much time to get it done (from checking to executing the image it was 1h 45 minutes)

This is the cars photo

This is the team crews with cars photo (I know I have to correct it as its falling to the right side)

And then i found that mural in an exposition and had to take a picture of it

I hope you like it,

---------- Post added 08-09-21 at 11:29 AM ----------

Well, I see i messed it a bit around repeating images on the first topic so let me add some more images,

The slider kid i was talking about

Oh and i forgot to say that there also was a team from Prague, Czech Republic,

BR,
Views: 399
08-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
great photos , DA 50-135 one of my favorite lens , best color rendition, contrast and object isolation .
08-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grear pics. It must be fun to be mixed up in.
08-10-2021, 01:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
great photos , DA 50-135 one of my favorite lens , best color rendition, contrast and object isolation .
Yes it is great for portraiture indeed !

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Grear pics. It must be fun to be mixed up in.
Thanks ! it is fun indeed.