Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Model shoot with Alexandra and Randi
Posted By: hamidlmt, 12-01-2008, 12:58 AM

I took the Strobist approach to the unfinished basement at my office. I used the K20D, FA 31mm 1.8 Limited and DA* 50-135mm 2.8. I wirelessly triggered AF-540 and Nikon SB-25 flashes behind shoot-thru umbrellas with SM Flashwaves. I mostly used just one flash, the AF-540. Shot in RAW and processed in Aperture.
Feedback is welcome... enjoy!

Views: 2,722
12-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I think for the very first picture I would've liked a smaller aperture to get both the models in focus. The picture just looks to me like they both were meant to be in focus, but aren't...
Dave, the shallow depth of field was quite intentional, as I feel a photo must have a single subject, even if two or more people are in frame.

Sometimes, I'll flatten the image in group shots, when going for that typical commercial look. In the example below, the aperture remained the same, but the focal length was decreased to increase depth of field.

We went for more of that Sears portrait look as subjects and photographer were getting warmed up with one another. Used both flashes behind shoot-thru umbrellas on this one.

Use of shallow depth of field is far more my style.

Thanks for your thoughts Dave

12-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
nice lighting u got there....care to share the position of your lights sir...all are sharp and well made concept...
12-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
nice lighting u got there....care to share the position of your lights sir...all are sharp and well made concept...
Most of the shots I've shared here only use one light. I tend to move my lights around quite a bit so it's difficult to just say the position. If you have a specific shot in question, please point it out and I'll go over the details.